SPS growth info?

william1

Market
Reaction score
I have been doing some reading on SPS corals. There was some talk about sps corals that have slowed down growing but are very healthy. Slowed down to the point that it takes months to acheve any growth. These corals were trimmed about 1/4" on a couple branches and withen a couple monthes there were rapid growth spots.

There was talk about this being one of the corals natural responses to be broken. Like a lizard reguvinates his tale. I have had some corals in the past that have been really slow growing and recently broke a small piece of my millie and birdsnest. These two pieces have not grown much before this, but now have sprouted a ton of new little pieces off the birdsnest and one nice new piece on the millie...

I think I there might be something behind this... Anyone else heard of this?

Yes I have heard of it. IME it works sometimes and sometimes it does not. Just depends on the coral.

I also have had corals that never grow from the original frag but encrust the plug and then sprout all new heads that grow normally. I have a colony like that right now. I have cut the original frag several times with no new growth it just heals.

Joe

THere is a thread on RC in the SPS forums about that. Might wanna read it if you get a chance. I havent, but have it saved for later.

Two things I am referring to the mother coral not the frag and it does not increase growth as much as spur new growth from a coral that has slowed down or may be growing in a way you do not like. This is just my experience and I am not talking about a scientific theory here.

Joe

Seedless Reefer;298352 wrote: If there was merit to this though wouldn't the growth on frags be more than it is?

sailfish;298403 wrote: I am not talking about a scientific theory here

Well Joe, we expect you to! lol, just messin. I've read it and I've done it...just as Joe says, sometimes it works great, other times no. The starynight was one that performed really well. With 1 frag spot, I'd get at least 3 new sprouts.

Back