SPS help... plz

couchpotato300

Market
Reaction score
so i just got some green slimer for free very small frags. i have t-5s 2 daylight bulbs 2 antics. now ive got both frags at the top because i no they need a ton of light.

but what else can i do to help them grow or maintain there current health so that they one day are much bigger
ive got a 65 gallon with a korilla 4 and a seio 900ish somthing close to that .

Clean water is must. Watch your water parameters. You could sacrifice the aesthetics of the actinics and put lower kelvin temperature bulbs on the frag tank. Lower kelvin temperature tend to put out more PAR which the corals can use for more growth. This varies by bulb manufacturer so evaluate each bulb, not just the Kelvin temp. Good Luck, and happy fragging!

I think he asking more about what brand of fixture so we will know if they have individual reflectors, wattages plus different ballasts and lightbulbs create different par.

hmm i honestly dont remember. i bought it awhile ago.. its a retro fix kit. with i belive top of the line refloctors. i frogot the name. and i duno the kelvin ratings its not on the bulbs well ii was but kinda rubbed off.

also make sure that ALL of these are in line & steady day after day:

a>

go look on reef central some people are growing sps with lower light. they have LOTS of flow feeding heavily and great water.

i have noticed a great increase in growth along with alkalinity and calcium increase. I began to closely monitor and increase the levels a few weeks ago and most of them have loved it despite the loss of all skimming :( Also, my rock stack goes to a few inches below the water and the coral at the top, a millie, seems to have done better when i had to place a light blocking barrier for a jumping fish temporarily above him. I have four t5s (24 watt i believe) and they seem to put out plenty of par for the stony corals ive got, perhaps too much at the very top, but you may have a different t5 set up based on what i read above (maybe i misunderstood the HO t5 comment). I think having the right chemical balance in your water column and a good flow is the next step for you to master, good luck. Ive always found that once you get it right and know what you've done well, the maintenance becomes much easier, but theres ALWAYS MORE TO LEARN. Thats what makes the hobby interesting and rewarding for me.

Back