SPS issue

atticusfit

Market
Reaction score
I picked up this starry night at the Coral expo few weeks back and has been doing ok. But noticed over the past few days the bottom is turning what looks green. I'm new to SPS so wasn't sure if this is normal because I have seen other corals dying usually turn white. If any one could give some input that would be awesome.

https://goo.gl/photos/H2zgUHzEydhWYbcH7">https://goo.gl/photos/H2zgUHzEydhWYbcH7</a>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bcavalli;1116622 wrote: What lighting are you using? Ive seen some of my SPS change color under leds.

2 Radion xr30 over a 72gal bow front.

xilez;1116639 wrote: Looks like RTN that has stopped.. got any better pics?

Sorry newb RTN?
05a255d9ef2f7157d188e6e0abdc2b0d.jpg
alt="" />
e91d975aeae1b8a5764dc849c89d0120.jpg
alt="" />
0c481b2f943a734f83e4543422341252.jpg
alt="" />

That looks like RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) or STN (slow). I don't think its Acro eating flatworms (fingers crossed it not).

A number of things can cause STN, all you can do is try to keep parameters as stable as possible.

xilez;1116653 wrote: That looks like RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) or STN (slow). I don't think its Acro eating flatworms (fingers crossed it not).

A number of things can cause STN, all you can do is try to keep parameters as stable as possible.

Ok should i cut it back?

Was told today that they are supposed to be green not the brown color anyone confirm that?

Where did you get the coral? Did you see the mother colony it was cut from? Judging just what I see in the picture... the acro looks very unhealthy. A few different things can change the color of sps to brown. A change in lighting/ not enough light. Nutrient levels being to high along with high phosphates. We would need to know more about your system to help determine whats going on. The "green" part of the picture is dead. I would guess that it stn then not long was consumed with algae.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

BrandonMason;1116700 wrote: Where did you get the coral? Did you see the mother colony it was cut from? Judging just what I see in the picture... the acro looks very unhealthy. A few different things can change the color of sps to brown. A change in lighting/ not enough light. Nutrient levels being to high along with high phosphates. We would need to know more about your system to help determine whats going on. The "green" part of the picture is dead. I would guess that it stn then not long was consumed with algae.

I didn't see mother colony unfortunately. I tested this morning and nitrate are 0 as well as phosphates.

I bet its a lighting issue, maybe a phosphate too. I notice some areas on my starry night that are shielded from light (the bottoms) tend to look like this. Try a T5 so spread some light around. Starry night should grow like a weed and its pretty hardy. How far does it sit from the light.

telsonman;1116703 wrote: I bet its a lighting issue, maybe a phosphate too. I notice some areas on my starry night that are shielded from light (the bottoms) tend to look like this. Try a T5 so spread some light around. Starry night should grow like a weed and its pretty hardy. How far does it sit from the light.

Phosphates are at 0. And using radion leds so no t5. It's sitting pretty high on rock close to light.

It's hard to tell, I think you should test with/without it for a couple of days to see where the issue is.

atticusfit;1116702 wrote: I didn't see mother colony unfortunately. I tested this morning and nitrate are 0 as well as phosphates.

What are the parameters of your tank

BrandonMason;1116709 wrote: What are the parameters of your tank

Alk 8.5
Cal 460
Mag 1300
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0
Amn 0
Sal 1.026
Ph 8.2
Dosing kalk thru ATO (brs brand 5 teaspoons in 5 gallon rodi)
2 radion xr20 running radiant setting at 80%
Placement high

Just for kicks double check your alk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is def tissue loss, and it's not a light issue. Too much light will bleach the coral from the top, not underside. And under lit corals will turn brown, but rarely do they just RTN from not enough light. It is most often caused by one or more parameters being way out of line. The most common one being Alkalinity. If that is below about 7 or above about 10-12 you often get events like this. I like to keep natural seawater levels of about 8dkh. Calc at about 420ppm magnesium about 1250. Salinity about 1.025-1.026

7 out of 10 times it's out of whack Alk

I would have ur LFS test ur water independently of ur kits/method.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back