SPS Questions

tgriffin

Market
Reaction score
OK......... I have a few questions I was hoping to get answered or at least pointed in the right direction.

In the last 2-3 weeks I have noticed some of my SPS tips turning brown and some of them have now pretty muched turned white and are DEAD. They were doing great before. WHAT HAPPENED? Good question that I'm hoping will get answered here. Few things that have changed recently... (1) rearranged my rockwork (2) added new phosguard (3) added 2 tangs.

Specs

100 gal cube
400 Radium (lumenbright large fixture)
2 mp 40's
SWC 160 cone skimmer
calcium reactor (6.30-6.4 ph) 90 drips a min
Phosguard (1.5 cups....... now lowered to 3/4 cup)
Carbon 1.5 cups
Matrix (wanting to pull it out cause I don't think it does anything)
Lighting Schedule MH and LED on @ 1:30pm (temp 77) MH off @ 8:45 pm (temp 80.8) Led off @ midnight

parameters
Calcium 410
dkh 10.2
Mag 1315
ph 7.9-8.1
SG 1.025
Nitrates (last week) 5 ppm
I haven't tested phosphates in a while.... Last time was about 3 months ago and it was .16. I started using phosguard the week after.

I haven't been able to get any growth and I'm about ready to pull a Georgia Chainsaw Massacre on my tank and get some satisfaction by seeing somethig changing in my tank!!:mad2:

In all seriousness, I would really appreciate some comments on what I might be able to do to get something to grow.

Edit: I'm leaning toward the phosguard. A friend is noticing the same thing about the browning of the tips and he is running phosguard as well

Probably a dumb question, but Are you guys rinsing the phosgaurd really well before using it?

Ripped Tide;789298 wrote: Probably a dumb question, but Are you guys rinsing the phosgaurd really well before using it?

Yes I probably go a little overkill on that.... But now that you mentioned it what would happen if you didn't?

The aluminum dust irritates some corals. That is why it is very important that phosgaurd doesn't have an aggressive tumble.

It really shouldn't tumble at all.

I would switch to GFO, and change weekly......

Nitrates are too high, so large weekly water changes or some sort of carbon dosing (not talking carbon here), whether Vodka, vinegar, bio pellets, etc...will help...

Ripped Tide;789309 wrote: The aluminum dust irritates some corals. That is why it is very important that phosgaurd doesn't have an aggressive tumble.

It really shouldn't tumble at all.

I've got too much flow then. Turning it down in 3...2....1!

Thanks

Anyone else? I'm desperate for some growth

Edit:
mysterybox;789313 wrote: I would switch to GFO, and change weekly......

Nitrates are too high, so large weekly water changes or some sort of carbon dosing (not talking carbon here), whether Vodka, vinegar, bio pellets, etc...will help...

Thanks Ralph! I actually have been thinking about switching. I also plan on adding a fuge soon. Hopefully that will help as well.

Would you mind telling me why you think gfo is better? Just trying to get a good education on the stuff before I change

GFO reduces phosphate at a much higher rate than Aluminum. Aluminum has been discontinued for years with every company except Seachem....years ago, too. Some companies have difficulty changing some of their products....

Aluminum has been known to cause irritation in some corals....

It's just not as effective, and if you have high nutrients, your corals will die...

mysterybox;789317 wrote: GFO reduces phosphate at a much higher rate than Aluminum. Aluminum has been discontinued for years with every company except Seachem....years ago, too. Some companies have difficulty changing some of their products....

Aluminum has been known to cause irritation in some corals....

It's just not as effective, and if you have high nutrients, your corals will die...

Thanks Ralph. Very good explanation. Unfortunately I just pulled my garf bonsai that I got from you out today. It was one of my favorites. Hopefully I can get this all straightened out and guy another one from you

The phosphate is high. Some like rowa phosphate remover. I use it on my 25 gallon tank. I use gfo, carbon dosing and still have a refugium along with matrix on my big tank.Both nitrates and phosphates have come down.

When you rearranged your rock work did your SPS corals get moved up or down (closer or further away from the lights)? Are they maybe getting a different level of lighting? That, in addition to the phosguard causing irritation could be your answer. Sometimes with SPS corals even the slightest change can cause them to lose color, tissue, etc. I also agree that you should get a small reactor and use GFO and water changes to get your phates down below 0.05. Are you using a Hanna phosphate checker (colorimeter)? If not, I would get one at BRS and make sure that your readings are accurate. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back