SPS/stony corals: do u dose amino acids?

ralph atl

Market
Reaction score
Although my sps corals are "healthy" and thriving, I just started dosing 4 drops of Elos AA tonight. My trates are maintained <.5 and phates at = or < 0.024. I skim wet, and I use a carbon source for my trates & a fuge & gfo for phates. My ora Nathan's green acro is a beautiful fluorescent yellow-green, but I know it should be darker. My Monti cap is orange, but on the pale side. Does anyone dose amino acids?

I just started dosing Brightwell aquatics new Amino acids tonight, granted I just started my journey into SPS corals. Tim at Keen recommended it and told me it would benefit me so I figured he is wiser than I and grabbed it.

I used to dose aminos a year ago for 3 months. I didn't notice any difference...

That being said, I bought the same elos aminos recently and also just started dosing it. It won't hurt the system but I'm not sure it'll help much either. We'll see... I do enjoy that these elos aminos flouresce when it hits the water... heh.

I use seachem amino's and vitimans, and soak my fish food in a capfull of it everyday and spread it out that way. Although I hav'nt noticed much difference.

I use it, It will help with polyp extention but thats about it. Makes my corals all nice and fluffy.

Its usually used to open the polyps before feeding, right after the main lights go off. Might help darken up some stuff simply from the added nutrients.

Yeah, and it also seems to murder the skimmer in its sleep. I soak many of my fish foods in the Brightwell amino 3/6 (i think thats it) and it has a similar effect to PE mysis, putting the skimmer out of commission for an hour or so.

I dosed the seachem ones for a good while....always an hour after my halides went out. Colors seemed to pop more on my corals. I haven't been using them for the past several months tho.

I have been trying the Elos omega and Pro Skimmer for a while now 1.5 to 2 months Omgea and 3 to 4 weeks for the Pro Skimmer. I think they have helped me have deeper richer color. I will keep using it and think it will continue to get better. Chris said it could take up to 3 months to get full results. I had hoped it would improve 2 different coral in particular one has improved greatly but the other has only improved slightly. I don't think it is a miracle worker but has helped me get deeper richer color.

With the Pro Skimmer I have not figured the right amount to dose yet to much and my sand has some algae.

My Acans defiantly look healthier and more fluffy.

4 drops seems like a lot I am only up to 3 drops in a total volume of 80 to 80 gal. I started at 1 drop and increased by one drop every week. Thats just me but I would ask Chris.

Joe

sailfish;224481 wrote: I have been trying the Elos omega and Pro Skimmer for a while now 1.5 to 2 months Omgea and 3 to 4 weeks for the Pro Skimmer. I think they have helped me have deeper richer color. I will keep using it and think it will continue to get better. Chris said it could take up to 3 months to get full results. I had hoped it would improve 2 different coral in particular one has improved greatly but the other has only improved slightly. I don't think it is a miracle worker but has helped me get deeper richer color.

With the Pro Skimmer I have not figured the right amount to dose yet to much and my sand has some algae.

My Acans defiantly look healthier and more fluffy.

4 drops seems like a lot I am only up to 3 drops in a total volume of 80 to 80 gal. I started at 1 drop and increased by one drop every week. Thats just me but I would ask Chris.

Joe

gotcha! Thanks for the info, & I will heed your advice. It never hurts to go slower! Thanks!

FYI: I just want to clarify the topic of this thread refers strickly to Amino Acids for Stony Corals. There are only a few companies that make these, such as Elos, Brightwell, Zeovit, Prodibio, and a few others.

Elos Omega can be located here:
a>

Activated carbon will remove the Omega and Skimmer products, so you should turn off the GAC for a while after you dose. Not sure how much of a diffference leaving the GAC on or off does, but Elos USA recommends turning off the flow thru the GAC for 30 minutes after dosing.
Dave

Back