Stand and canopy builder

anthony

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone to build a stand and canopy for a 120.. need to be reasonable in price and good ar making high quality furniture grade setup.

Just a heads up if you didn't see it but, there's a nice one for sale in the drygoods right now. Could be worth making an offer.

That's the one I used to own... and they want too much...but I do appreciate the heads up... I'm going to get one built like it but with a side door so I can remove the sump..

That's the one I used to own... and they want too much...but I do appreciate the heads up... I'm going to get one built like it but with a side door so I can remove the sump..
I was thinking the same thing on pricing but didn't want to be a dick, just left it at "making an offer" I love the side door stuff, my next one will be that style.

*I meant to post this as a reply, so post is now here...*

Ok Anthony, I don't appreciate you continuing to assert that you previously owned MY stand and canopy. I've already told you that my stand was made-to-order and it was crafted by a carpenter named August. I did NOT buy this from you or from anyone, pre-owned. I ordered it through Optimum Aquarium (Greg, the owner) as they did not have anything I like in stock, but had a smaller one. Greg told me at the time that he no longer had a carpenter building the more ornate stands and I could get one made, but it would cost a bit more and there would be a wait. I ordered through Greg as he had the relationship with the carpenter and would facilitate order processing. I personally selected the stain color I wanted to match my floors, the type of trim I wanted on it, and I specified that I wanted a seamless tray built into the bottom and I paid extra for those features.

I talked with the carpenter extensively to review the order and to get an ETA on my build, among others he was working through. There were delays in construction due to weather and unfavorable temperatures for wood glue setting, etc. It took me nearly 2 months to get it and he personally delivered it to my house as a new, pristine, clearly freshly finished, commissioned piece. It was so freshly finished when he delivered it that I could still smell the poly coat coming off of it, which he assured me would not be an issue and it wasn't. There was a very, very small remnant of the surface of a knot in one of the flutes and we talked about how unique each piece of wood is and I expressed how much I appreciated the grain and unique signatures were in every build like these.

So, again, I'm tired of you claiming that my stand and canopy were yours; they weren't. I don't like my integrity questioned and I'd have absolutely nothing to gain by misleading someone as to whether there was a previous owner of a stand because it wouldn't be worth more or less unless a previous owner was a celebrity and someone cared.

This is really getting silly now....

We
*I meant to post this as a reply, so post is now here...*

Ok Anthony, I don't appreciate you continuing to assert that you previously owned MY stand and canopy. I've already told you that my stand was made-to-order and it was crafted by a carpenter named August. I did NOT buy this from you or from anyone, pre-owned. I ordered it through Optimum Aquarium (Greg, the owner) as they did not have anything I like in stock, but had a smaller one. Greg told me at the time that he no longer had a carpenter building the more ornate stands and I could get one made, but it would cost a bit more and there would be a wait. I ordered through Greg as he had the relationship with the carpenter and would facilitate order processing. I personally selected the stain color I wanted to match my floors, the type of trim I wanted on it, and I specified that I wanted a seamless tray built into the bottom and I paid extra for those features.

I talked with the carpenter extensively to review the order and to get an ETA on my build, among others he was working through. There were delays in construction due to weather and unfavorable temperatures for wood glue setting, etc. It took me nearly 2 months to get it and he personally delivered it to my house as a new, pristine, clearly freshly finished, commissioned piece. It was so freshly finished when he delivered it that I could still smell the poly coat coming off of it, which he assured me would not be an issue and it wasn't. There was a very, very small remnant of the surface of a knot in one of the flutes and we talked about how unique each piece of wood is and I expressed how much I appreciated the grain and unique signatures were in every build like these.

So, again, I'm tired of you claiming that my stand and canopy were yours; they weren't. I don't like my integrity questioned and I'd have absolutely nothing to gain by misleading someone as to whether there was a previous owner of a stand because it wouldn't be worth more or less unless a previous owner was a celebrity and someone cared.

This is really

Dude you can say what you want... I disagree with you with the understanding that I could be wrong... just like that tank that had a obvious haze on it from the pictures ...I looked at the pictures you posted of that tank and it looked like it had the same haze... that mine had on it... that added to the fact that the dark spots in the wood grain were in the exact spots that mine were leads me to believe that it was my old setup.. no could be your guy put a fresh coat of poly on it and told you he just built it. ? I don't know... either way if I'm saying what I believe to be true and I am NOT slandering you in any way why does it matter?.. if the tables were turned I would just say..." whatever".. I do believe that is my old setup and I always will.. if you don't like it that's too bad.. I'm no on here being ugly about it to you or causing problems.. I just stated my opinion.. I could be wrong but I don't think I am... so get over it... you keep your aquarium, I don't want it... for the price you're asking I would rather have a new one built and just pay the difference.

I was thinking the same thing on pricing but didn't want to be a dick, just left it at "making an offer" I love the side door stuff, my next one will be that style.
Well he and I disagree about the tank and the price but I'm sure he's a good guy.. we just don't agree but once again thanks for the heads up

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Well he and I disagree about the tank and the price but I'm sure he's a good guy.. we just don't agree but once again thanks for the heads up
Oh yeah.. I had one that had a side door once and it was awesome...and that's a good stand and canopy... not great... just good and alot better than most.. however there was a guy on fb marketplace that had an awesome one... I mean absolutely beautiful but it was for a 180 or 220 I think and that's just a but too big for me.... I tried going with a 90 buy just not enough room under the stand for the sump I wanted...

I'm looking for someone to build a stand and canopy for a 120.. need to be reasonable in price and good ar making high quality furniture grade setup.
I know a stand maker but he’s not cheap and reasonable is subjective to quality. You sound like you’re looking for cheap with all your post, but if you’re willing to pay what someone is worth, let me know and I can connect you two.

Last edited:
I know a stand maker but he’s not cheap and reasonable is subjective to quality. You sound like you’re looking for cheap with all your post, but if you’re willing to pay what someone is worth, let me know and I can connect you two.
And the guy he knows does EXCELLENT work. But "reasonably priced" and "furniture grade" shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Just the cost of the raw wood is double to triple what it was 2 years ago. 2x4's may have dropped some but hardwood and plywood are way expensive right now.

And the guy he knows does EXCELLENT work. But "reasonably priced" and "furniture grade" shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Just the cost of the raw wood is double to triple what it was 2 years ago. 2x4's may have dropped some but hardwood and plywood are way expensive right now.
Just to note. This guy does not use 2x4s, only all furniture grade ply and the paint finish is top notch. No drips, bubbles, etc. It will look like a piece of high end furniture built to your specs.

Yeah.. well that's relative...it's not that I want "cheap" I just want it to be worth it.. of I'm paying $1000+ it needs to look nice... you know good grain quality wood and nice trim...some think their Worth more than what they really are... just depends on the quality of work...I had a friend pay double for a cabinet that he thought would be high quality turned out I could have built it better for half the cost...and my carpentry skills are not great by any means...This hobby is expensive enough and if you tell getting what you pay for that's ok... but if you pay extra and it turns out to be a normal blocky old cabinet with poor wood grain and low quality trim then you just waisted your money..of course I'm probably not telling you something you don't already know.. thanks for the heads up tho..hope you have a blessed day...

Yeah.. well that's relative...it's not that I want "cheap" I just want it to be worth it.. of I'm paying $1000+ it needs to look nice... you know good grain quality wood and nice trim...some think their Worth more than what they really are... just depends on the quality of work...I had a friend pay double for a cabinet that he thought would be high quality turned out I could have built it better for half the cost...and my carpentry skills are not great by any means...This hobby is expensive enough and if you tell getting what you pay for that's ok... but if you pay extra and it turns out to be a normal blocky old cabinet with poor wood grain and low quality trim then you just waisted your money..of course I'm probably not telling you something you don't already know.. thanks for the heads up tho..hope you have a blessed day...
Sent you a PM

Then the guy Victor is pm'ing you about is who you need to talk to. David does quality work, probably the best in Atlanta for stands and canopies. He used to be a regular on here too Grouper Therapy is his handle.

Then the guy Victor is pm'ing you about is who you need to talk to. David does quality work, probably the best in Atlanta for stands and canopies. He used to be a regular on here too Grouper Therapy is his handle.
Sweet thanks man... I will check him out...

David built my 210 stand and custom wrap. Excellent craftsman ship....it along with 210 will be for sale shortly...downsizing.

Back