Stand building advice needed

cdub

Market
Reaction score
My sump room in my garage is finally complete and i'm starting to build the places i want to keep my two 50 gallon rubbermaid tubs.

The first tub is sitting on a frame of 2x4's just to keep it off the ground. the 2nd tub i would like to put directly above the first one and i'm curious how to build the table. i'm thinking of using 4 4x4's for posts, then framing around the outside with 2x4's and then a few 2x4's across the middle for supports....does this sound ok or is it not going to work?

If it is going to be that tall, then I worry that just with 2x4 or 4x4 posts you might have some stability issues without having anything on the sides.

so you think i need some further cross beams on the legs farther down?

I'd be nervous with 2x4's around the outside--essentially there's nothing holding them up except for the nails or screws. I'd lean towards using doubled 2x4's with the 'table' resting on top of one of the 2x4's. 2x4's are plenty strong in compression. Also, as Brandon says, you'll need some additional bracing or plywood panels to limit side to side and front to back movement.

I'll post a pic that shows what I mean in a bit....

Something like this. The 'table' is actually held up by the vertical 2x4's under it.

(And yes, I'm into overbuilding--it's better than flooding!) You could do a plywood panel on the back to act as a brace and use 2x4 braces on the sides to allow some access to the lower sump. If you don't need the side access, plywood panels would be stiffer.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
100657=6229-SUMP STAND.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
100657=6229-SUMP STAND.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="SUMP STAND.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I would not be afraid to maybe make a brace on the wall and fastened it to that also...Dont be penny wise and dollar foolish...Lot of weight and water there :)

what if i used 4x4 posts for the corners, and then 2x6's for the outside and inside framing? i could also probalby drop the height to 30'' and my skimmer should be good underneath

I would think youd be cool....Maybe a lil overkill but better safe then......

2x material 4 x material and even 1x material is fine if you build it correctly.

The weight pressing downward is easily supported by any of these material but as stated before, it is side to side or front to back "folding" that will bring this thing crashing down.

My 125 gallon stand is built with 1 x 4 and 1 small sheet of plywood.

I remember reading a while back that a 36" 2x4 (clear grade) can withstand around 4000 lbs before failure. Most stands build by hobbyists are severely overbuilt - just do 2x4's in the corners and add a plywood skin, and you're good to several thousand gallons.

I am interested in building a stand too. It will be 36x36 and hold a 106gallon tank. If anyone has some good plans I could use it would be appreciated.
Here's a reef central link, for a way overbuilt stand. Looks good unless your planning on moving anytime soon.

showthread.php

My stand is 2x4's and 1/2" sanded plywood glued and screwed together. The plywood gives it side to side strength. the important thing is to have the top frame setting ON the 2x4 legs, not screwed into the side. I added some cross braces for additional strength. I used 1x4 whitewood for the face and 1/4" sanded plywood for the doors. Build as big as you can as you never have enough room. Also remember, the taller your stand the higher you must reach to get into your tank. And finally, if your going to apply finish, do the inside to waterproof it. You'll be amazed where water can get to.

Back