Stand Experts - How long do I have?

marquiseo

Market
Reaction score
I accidentally left my return nozzle up a little bit too high after turning my return pumps back on from cleaning the tank earlier. About half a cup of the water spilled over. Some of it was soak into the inside of the rubber mat under the tank. Fast forward to now, I looked at the tank and noticed that it had warped in the location where I was being lazy to waterproof. So how long would you say it could hold? I will have to get another stand built but it will take some time. The tank is about 45g in the display and about 40lbs of rock and corals. I checked and the tank is still leveled.

Also, the image below makes it look like the warp is half way through but its only like 4.5inches.

Left Side
16213005629_17a0f3ae0c_c.jpg
alt="" />
15776773714_0ae3dd7cef_c.jpg
alt="" />

Right
16213005979_233d719979_c.jpg
alt="" />

I would say a long time. I had an old marine land stand that was in horrible shape. It was swollen like that in many spots and it held fine.

FF337;1011439 wrote: I would say a long time. I had an old marine land stand that was in horrible shape. It was swollen like that in many spots and it held fine.

That's relief. I will get another stand made though. I just don't want to come home to a disaster because the stand collapsed. Thanks!

Bgcoop8784;1011443 wrote: If that's all that happened and the wood doesn't feel mushy at all, I wouldn't worry about it if it were mine, but then again, I don't always do things like I should. Anytime particle board swells it loses some integrity.

It's hard. There aren't any warps in the inside of the stand either. I am only worried because that is a lot of gallons to spill and I live in an apartment.

My guess is you only have about 50 years before it fails. It is fine. Just doesn't look the best.

I would take some type of sealant and seal that exposed portion if your gonna keep it for more than a few months. If not sealed it will soak up moisture even faster being exposed.

Back