Stand height?

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
So I am building my own stand for a new system. I built it with a height of 40". Im second guessing that height. it would basically put the tank at eye level for the most part for me. Im a short guy. But ive been thinking about when i have to do maintenance and having to get on a chair or step stool to get into the tank. What heights are you stands at and should i lower it?

A tall stand is easier to work under, a short stand is easier for maintence. I had one sump I had trouble getting the skimmer cup off to clean it and it wasn't easy to get the filter socks out. Hal got to pick the height, he's the one doing the plumbing.20170211_112116.jpg20170211_112116.jpg

I like to reach into the top of the tank without a stool. For a 24 to 30 in high tank, that means the top is armpit level if trying to reach the bottom, which is pretty low. The tank can be higher as long as my elbow can bend over the top understanding that most anything not at the top of the tank wil require a grabber or stool to reach.

Any tank top higher than armpit height requires a stool for heavy maintenance but less than armpit height is too low for larger DT's to support a sump below.

How tall is your tank?

Also, I usually watch my tank from the couch, so as long as my eye level is not below the bottom of the tank, I can see the sand bed and everything else for the most part.

I like to reach into the top of the tank without a stool. For a 24 to 30 in high tank, that means the top is armpit level if trying to reach the bottom, which is pretty low. The tank can be higher as long as my elbow can bend over the top understanding that most anything not at the top of the tank wil require a grabber or stool to reach.

Any tank top higher than armpit height requires a stool for heavy maintenance but less than armpit height is too low for larger DT's to support a sump below.

How tall is your tank?

Also, I usually watch my tank from the couch, so as long as my eye level is not below the bottom of the tank, I can see the sand bed and everything else for the most part.

It's 24". Im going to lower it. But I'll have to do some measurements on how tall I need it for my skimmer and have enough room to take off the top.

Back