stand height ?

mrsmojo

Market
Reaction score
I am curious how tall most peoples stands are? We are getting ready to set up a second 240 gallon (84 X 26 X 26) for me and we cant decide on the height of the stand. Chris's current stand is 39 inches tall which means that I have to use a stool to get into the tank. I was thinking that I would have my stand so that the top of the tank is at shoulder height for me so that a step stool is not needed. He thinks this will make for a tank that is way too short and uncomfortable to watch the critters. Any opinions?

Christine

If I build a new stand it will be alot taller than the one I jave now. I hate bending over to look at my tank.

Hey hey there, how's it going? Mine is 37" as well. I'm a fan of the taller ones because it's easier to see the fish. I'd think as accessible as a lower tank would be, it might be a burden looking at the fish....but thats just my thoughts. Plus having a taller stand will ensure you can fit random things under the tank if its not plumbed into the main system that's already there.

A short stand does make it easier to work in however unless it's in an area where you will be sitting down to view the tank, it gets uncomfortable to view the tank. A taller stand makes viewing the tank much easier but does require a step stool to work in it. The tall stand also allows you more room for equipment, if you will be housing anything in it.

I currently have 2 tanks, one with a 43" stand and one with a 24" stand.

I have been doing some drawings on a custom stand, and I'm going with 36" high. I chose this because that would put the bottom of the tank level with the top of the dining room table (tanks in the dining room). That way the table doesn't obstruct a full view.

Mine is 38" high. I like the height--if I were doing it again, I might raise it an inch, but it works for me.

I have a hard time with this one myself. I think it matters How you view your tank the most.

I like lower stands for two reason most sps look better from the top down. Lower stand and being able to place corals lower in the tank allows better view of the coral. Of course placing corals lower in the tank has nothing to do with the hight of the stand.

If you view you tank while setting than a lower stand is better IMHO b/c you cans see whats going on in the sand. I have a couch a few feet from one of my tanks and if it is much taller I could not see whats going on down there.

The downside of course is if you stand close to the tank alot you have to duck so the top brace does not block your view. So IMHO it matters how and where you view your tank from.

For my my upcoming display I have not made up my mind what I will do.:confused2:

Joe

i like to sit and watch my tanks. i also don't like water running down my arm into my armpit when messing with things in the tank. it helps that my tanks are small and short, so the stands are in the 32-34" range.

my recommendation is to have the tank no higher than the height to your armpit while standing on the the stepladder/stepstool that you'll be using to reach into the tank..

It would depend on what you want the tank primarily for... Fish seem to give better effect when looked at eye level or higher, and corals below eye level especially SPS.... so for a 24" tall tank, around 30" or around 40" is what I would shoot for... mine is 33", wish I had gone a little lower...

In my case.....I have built several stands. IMO the size of the tank is important in determing the height of the stand. Ive found that an enjoyable height for 55-90gallon tanks at 37"-40".

I have found that if I am able to comfortably reach into the tank, that translates into me being more motivated to perform needed maintenance inside the tank, which means a better looking, healthier system.

I would personally go with the lowest stand height that will adequately accommodate the equipment you want under it.
Dave

I don't know. I personally think that a stand that puts a tank at eye-level has its merits. Now, since YOU will be doing the upkeep on the tank make sure you do not have to go swimming in the think to do the upkeep. ;)

I'm a short stand kind of guy... well cause I'm a short kind of guy :). I remedy the whole eye level thing with a nice matching bench placed in front of the tank. It makes the viewing experience much more enjoyable. I tend to look at my tank for hours so sitting is preferable.

I researched mine for months. I'm not saying its right but it works for me.

My sand starts at 36 inches and the trim at 40 inches, thus hidding most of it. Come by and visit.

Back