Stand options

civics14

Market
Reaction score
Just ordered my 150g from SCAquariums, so now I need to look at stand options.

Anyone on this forum ever done a steel frame? I like the idea and keeping it open and if I wanted to skin it, I could with removable panels.

Or, anyone ever done aluminum extrusions?

Thanks

80/20 aluminum extrusion is great stuff, but it is expensive. If cost is not an issue, it is definitely a viable option. Steel stands are great too, but are pricy and you have to wait for it to be built and coated. A steel stand is the better option IMO for large tanks (300g or larger), but don't make much sense financially for smaller tanks unless you just absolutely need more access. Why not a wood stand? They are very versatile and much more cost effective. There are many more experienced wood stand builders around here than steel stand builders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as wood stands, I requested a quote from two on here on ARC, one got back to me that was far out of my price point and I'm awaiting on the other. I also reached out to some custom cabinet makers that I found through google searches in the Atlanta market as well.

I was thinking of steel stands because I seen several on ARC that just looked amazing and the versatility of the skins. Same goes for aluminum stands. At the price of my last quote for a wooden stand, I'm sure I can get a steel stand made or aluminum stand made for the same or less.

Do you have any other contacts outside of the 2 known ones here? Grouper and Allan

I've seen two steel framed stands with magnetic removeable panels and they both were incredible!!! Both were welded by the owner of the system using square tube with gussets in the corners. They wee never going to collapse. Then they basically had cabinet doors built and attached via magnets. Did the same thing for the canopies too.

I think you will find that the prices for any custom aquarium stand will be somewhat high, at least in comparison to what you can get from a mass manufacturer. Any reputable business is not going to work for free. You have to decide whether or not you want to pay for quality and customization or if cost is the major deciding factor.

Grouper does great work, and Allen has stopped building stands I believe (moved or was planning on moving out of state the last that I heard).

My office tank stand that I bought from Optimum Aquarium was built by these guys (good quality):

http://www.thewoodenedge.com/products-and-testimonials.html">http://www.thewoodenedge.com/products-and-testimonials.html</a>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clearly, I'm not looking for free - please don't suggest that I would expect anyone to do such a thing as I wouldn't myself. I'm looking for something reasonable within my price range. Thanks for the link, I'll send them a message.

civics14;1075043 wrote: As far as wood stands, I requested a quote from two on here on ARC, one got back to me that was far out of my price point and I'm awaiting on the other. I also reached out to some custom cabinet makers that I found through google searches in the Atlanta market as well.

I was thinking of steel stands because I seen several on ARC that just looked amazing and the versatility of the skins. Same goes for aluminum stands. At the price of my last quote for a wooden stand, I'm sure I can get a steel stand made or aluminum stand made for the same or less.

Do you have any other contacts outside of the 2 known ones here? Grouper and Allan

Chris at reef shac builds nice quality stands for a reasonable price

I believe Grouper built mine as well that I picked up from Optiumum and it is incredibly well built. :)

Yeah - I seen his work over the years on this forum, top notch stuff. I just swung by and gave the dimensions to what I'm looking for at a local steel fabricator. Should hear something Monday since I got there like 15 min before closing.

Not ornate at all actually - looking for something like the Red Sea reefer 450 stand but in wood and walnut stain finish. Looking for a bit of the modern look with a hint of old fashion finish. Just don't want any 2x4 frame stuff

Grouper would be my first choice for sure. I can maybe help you but it would never match that standard of quality. It would also take me time due to my work schedule. Check my build thread if you want to see the one I did. But again, Groupers can run circles around me

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rdnelson99;1075100 wrote: Grouper would be my first choice for sure. I can maybe help you but it would never match that standard of quality. It would also take me time due to my work schedule. Check my build thread if you want to see the one I did. But again, Groupers can run circles around me

Thx for that Rich but I ain't running circles around nothing!:D ok the dinner table maybe!

grouper therapy;1075102 wrote: Thx for that Rich but I ain't running circles around nothing!:D ok the dinner table maybe!
I didn't say the would be fast circles. Hehehehehe

Back