Stand Question

izoid

Market
Reaction score
I currently have my 55 gallon tank on a Petco Manhattan metal stand. The stand has to horizontal beams that run the length of the stand on the bottom of the stand. I believe these add stability to the stand but do not add to the load bearing capability. I would like to remove the rear beam so that my sump sits on the floor, which gives me more height for a skimmer. Link to the stand:

http://www.petco.com/product/109068/Petco-Manhattan-Metal-Tank-Stand.aspx">http://www.petco.com/product/109068/Petco-Manhattan-Metal-Tank-Stand.aspx</a>

My question is, will this work or am I making the stand too unstable by doing so? I plan to skin the stand with wood but that will not add much stability.

yea, don't take anything off that stand!
the diagonal bracing on the side adds rigidity from front to rear, there's nothing making it rigid from side to side except the bolts & nuts.
If you want to place your 'fuge at the bottom of the stand, cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the legs.

I'm with wbrown on this one I would not remove anything from that stand. You could however attach a piece of plywood to the back and then remove the back bottom horizontal

I have the sump sitting on a piece of plywood on top of the spans right now. They are not far enough apart for the sump to fit between them.

I am also considering removing the top bolt on each and simply rotating the beam down. This will still give me the beams support but they will only be held on by one bolt. I an not convinced that this is the best idea as it only provides minimal height gain and adds a higher degree of risk.

If the sump doesn't hang beyond the frame a foot or more, I would leave as is. If you don't like the looks, consider a different stand.
If you turned or altered what you have, especially if you have to remove bolts, I'd look for someone to weld it.
You kinda don't have a lot of options with that stand.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you but just wanted some confirmation that my options weren't really options. The sump fits just fine on top of the supports, it justs does not leave much head room for a skimmer. I will just skin the stand with wiid and live with the tight height.

izoid;713992 wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you but just wanted some confirmation that my options weren't really options. The sump fits just fine on top of the supports, it justs does not leave much head room for a skimmer. I will just skin the stand with wiid and live with the tight height.
Smart man

Back