Stand Question

matthew660

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew if a 24"x24" kitchen base cabinet topped with 3/4" plywood would support a Biocube 29?

Thanks

I'm not a builder but I would say that would be fine. I have quite a few friends with JBJ 28's sitting on granite kitchen countertops.

Depends on how the cabinet was constructed.

Edit:
Sidvicious;716967 wrote: I'm not a builder but I would say that would be fine. I have quite a few friends with JBJ 28's sitting on granite kitchen countertops.
The weight is dispersed across a larger area on a countertop that is on top of several cabinets attached to the wall.

Edit: Some cabinets are nothing more than laminated particle board shot together with staples and little hot melt glue.

The cabinet I'm talking about is a Lowes 24"x24" oak faced cabinet w/ mdf sides.

grouper therapy;716968 wrote: Depends on how the cabinet was constructed.

Edit:
The weight is dispersed across a larger area on a countertop that is on top of several cabinets attached to the wall.

Edit: Some cabinets are nothing more than laminated particle board shot together with staples and little hot melt glue.

I can't recall how thick the mdf is that they use or how it is joined. I am thinking you may want to add a few things just to be sure. If you can shoot me some pics i will let you know what i know.it will be a short e-mail .:yes:

Can't send pics at the moment. But its 1/2" mdf, sides are mortised to hold the bottom and back panels. Since you mention adding a few things I was thinking 1x4 inside in the corners from top to bottom (can't use 2x4 as there is a drawer) and maybe a 2x2 frame around the top.

grouper therapy;716979 wrote: I can't recall how thick the mdf is that they use or how it is joined. I am thinking you may want to add a few things just to be sure. If you can shoot me some pics i will let you know what i know.it will be a short e-mail .:yes:

Matthew660;716985 wrote: Can't send pics at the moment. But its 1/2" mdf, sides are mortised to hold the bottom and back panels. Since you mention adding a few things I was thinking 1x4 inside in the corners from top to bottom (can't use 2x4 as there is a drawer) and maybe a 2x2 frame around the top.
I would add a base 1x ? around the whole thing and make sure the sides are solid all the way to the floor.

Double the plywood on top and run some 163 base cap around that and forgo the 2x2 frame. JMIO That will hold it fine. The 1x4 is not gonna do much if you don't run them under the cabinet as well:)

Ok thanks I will pick up some material tomorrow.

grouper therapy;716989 wrote: I would add a base 1x ? around the whole thing and make sure the sides are solid all the way to the floor.

Double the plywood on top and run some 163 base cap around that and forgo the 2x2 frame. JMIO That will hold it fine. The 1x4 is not gonna do much if you don't run them under the cabinet as well:)

Back