Stand Questions

saltaddict

Reaction score
What type of lumber do you use to build your stand?

Is regular old lumber ok, should i use pressure treated?

Do you paint the inside of yours? I want to use Killz Primer, is that going to be bad?

Regular lumber is fine. From what I have read, stay away from the pressure treated stuff for stands. I used kilzs primer on my stand with no ill effects.

Pressure treated is not necessary. Besides, it has a high moisture content and has a good chance of warping when it dries. Needless to say, that would be bad for the tank.

so if your saying just 3/4" cabinet grade plywood, that will be able to support a 75g tank? with water,rock, and sand with out having any bracing or frame?

yes,properly constructed.all of the stands i build are 3/4" plywood with no 2x framing.there are lots of build threads on here by myself,Rededge2k and Grouper Therapy that you can look up to get an idea of proper construction.

Yup. Reeferman is right. It's a science that I haven't quite yet mastered. I still overbuild mine with dimensional lumber until I completely understand the dynamics of the plywood. The idea behind the logic is something along the lines of the stand only has to be constructed to transfer the weight of the stand to the floor below it, or something like that...

My 93 cube stand was built with dimensional lumber and skinned with 1/4" plywood then painted. Now my 180 stand is built strictly out of solid poplar. The inside is painted black. The exterior is stained.

porpoiseaquatics;865106 wrote: My 93 cube stand was built with dimensional lumber and skinned with 1/4" plywood then painted. Now my 180 stand is built strictly out of solid poplar. The inside is painted black. The exterior is stained.

Who built your stand?

SaltAddict;865063 wrote: awsome thanks for the info. Where do you buy cabinet grade plywood?

Hardwood dealers, my favorite in the metro area is Peachstate Lumber Products in Kennesaw. Atlanta Hardwoods Inc in Smyrna is ok too, but they can be pricey. Stay away from the HD/Lowes plywood if you can avoid it.

Dustin

Butch;865043 wrote: Regular lumber is fine. From what I have read, stay away from the pressure treated stuff for stands. I used kilzs primer on my stand with no ill effects.
With exception of passing out if you don't have good ventilation. LOL

I used some of that stuff in a bathroom once. I took the wallpaper off(will never have wallpaper again) and about half the paper on the sheetrock came off. Used Kilz in the bathroom with door closed & windows open. I had to close the door because wife suffers froms migraines and strong smells can trigger them. I had bathroom door closed & bedroom door(on other side of the house) closed & the smell was still in our bedroom.

Unome;865176 wrote: With exception of passing out if you don't have good ventilation. LOL

I used some of that stuff in a bathroom once. I took the wallpaper off(will never have wallpaper again) and about half the paper on the sheetrock came off. Used Kilz in the bathroom with door closed & windows open. I had to close the door because wife suffers froms migraines and strong smells can trigger them. I had bathroom door closed & bedroom door(on other side of the house) closed & the smell was still in our bedroom.

you must have used the oil based there's also a water base.
I believe oil based paints are more prone to mold.

SaltAddict;865037 wrote: What type of lumber do you use to build your stand?

Is regular old lumber ok, should i use pressure treated?

Do you paint the inside of yours? I want to use Killz Primer, is that going to be bad?
What size stand are you wanting to buils?

well, if everything goes according to plan...im thinking one for a tank that is 48x18x21.

Back