Starfish ID Please?

stroid

Market
Reaction score
Just found this today while I was getting rid of some aiptasia. Don't know what it is though? Good or Bad?
IMG_3341.jpg
alt="" />

hehehehe, so you dont know if its good or bad but you'll sure touch it :p I'm not an expert with these lil guys but it seems that the darker variation of them people say that they have been munchin on their corals. Like I said I have no personal experience with them so i really cant say......have you noticed any munched on corals?

They are called asterina</em> they love to eat the slight film algae on the sides of your aquarium. They grow up to about 1/4". They also reproduce fairly quickly with fission. When they become over populated they will start to eat soft corals and gorgonians. I usually take them out and throw them into my refugium or into a FOWLR system.

You could also buy a harlequin shrimp - it will do a good job of cleaning out those guys, but then you may need to feed the harlie something else to keep him happy once the asterina </em>are wiped out.

glxtrix wrote: hehehehe, so you dont know if its good or bad but you'll sure touch it :p
lol yeah I am fearless...i wasnt that concerned about it for me just for the corals i will be puting in the tank. The tank was recently acquired and I filled it with 20lbs of LS 16.5lbs of LR and now it is cycling. But I was getting rid of some aiptasia that was on the rock and my buddy saw this little guy sitting in my sand. I would rather get him out of my tank all together if someone wants him they can have him if not he probably wont be around much longer. Thanks for the answers I kinda thought is was an asterina.

Hey Ziad, I love Asterina. I'll take him and any others you find if you want to send them back with your friend this weekend.

I have one it rode in on a pipe organ I got the other day from Cap Bay. Its the same size but almost white in color.

that's not a problem at all ill give it to him before he leave and you can grab it from him.

Back