Starfish or bristle worms

mrmrburke

Supporting
Reaction score
I noticed some zoa frags were closed and acting funny so I was moving them around and found a cluster of what I thought were bristle worms...they seemed stunned and I was able to snag a few with some tweezers.
When I got them out they looked more like star fish with a circular center in which al the bristly legs came off ...I tried to take a picture and this is the best I could do.

I know I have more of these pests and if you know what they are how do I get rid of them?
994301=57122-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414877040.908863.jpg
>
994301=57122-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414877040.908863.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414877040.908863.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh really! Well they live under my Zoas and really bother them should I just move the Zoas? I love having extra cuc though :)

I concur, they are beneficial and they should not be bothering the Zoanthids. If something *is* bothering the Zoanthids, it's likely something else.

What are the Zoas doing? (or not doing?)

Jenn

Well what I notice is these things have they arms wrapped all around the frag and where they are touching the Zoas polyps those polyps are closed and not opening ...I just assumed it was a bristle worm or pest until I removed it, but it seems like the legs of these creatures are touching the polyps and causing them not to open...at least that's what I notice

If they just close for a bit it's no biggie. Hermits will walk over them (if you have hermits) or shrimp will, and they close temporarily. They're just reacting, no harm is done.

Jenn

Yeah it was no biggie at first but i noticed the legs of the star fish things keep moving and the polyps inevitably stay closed most of the day because the legs are constantly out and moving

Either the polyps will desensitize to it, or the creatures will move on.

Are you spot-feeding the Zoanthids?

No I don't ... I have been broadcast feeding with reef chilli twice a week...if I were to spot feed what should I use? My sis are probably too big for Zoas but that's what I spot feed my acans

I wasn't suggesting you should. Just that if you did, that might be why the brittles are hanging out there - a constant food source.

Gotcha. I'll keep that in mind because when I do broadcast feed its concentrated over the rock I find the most brittles

Makes plenty of sense...thanks for the tips!

These are NOT starfish. They are ophiuroids. Starfish are in the same phylum (Echinodermata) but a different class (asteroidea).

Back