Starfish

dylan ringwood

Market
Reaction score
True or false? Hard to acclimate them to the tank and the reef safe ones are finicky? I would like to get one but I hear they are a tough cookie for someone new.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Depends. I have two serpent stars and they are very happy. They were some of the first creatures in the tank.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Im still fresh into the saltwater world but I have a 55 gallon and a 125 both are fowlr tanks with starfish i haven't had any problems acclimating them and there allover my tanks I hope this helps

Alrighty thanks for the help. 30 bucks and just imagine the worst so I don't get disappointed?

On what starfish it is. Brittles and serpents are pretty hardy but sand shifting sea stars and lankia (sp) are harder to acclimate from what I have been told. I dont have those ones. I just have my serpent stars.

No problem. I researched alot on the sea stars before we decided to get some. They are pretty cool creatures when they decide to show themselves. Lol

I have a couple of sand stars and a banded star. They are pretty easy going no problems. The banded star is very reclusive and only comes out at night.

I have a sand shifter who is a year old. He is very easy brought him home and dropped him in, no acculmateion. But I would recommend a deep sand bed. In an established tank. I love him though he comes out all the time.

"The purpose of acclimation is simple: the water that the fish or corals are packaged in has different temperature, pH, and salinity parameters than your aquarium. Fish, and especially invertebrates (including corals), are very sensitive to even minor changes in these parameters, so proper acclimation is the key to ensuring their successful relocation."

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=157">http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=157</a>

definitely not a good idea to not acclimate if you want your animals to live, and be healthy...

Some sea stars are more sensitive than others, but I'd agree with Ralph's post, as it pertains to sea stars.

What specie are you considering? You'll get more concise information if you're specific.

Jenn

We drip acclimated our sea stars for an hour. So you know without a doubt they are adjusted to your tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+568&pcatid=568">http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+568&pcatid=568</a>

Those are notorious sensitive to changes in water chemistry. I had one for several months in one of my tanks and when I moved it, it never recovered. It withered away in a week or so.

I put a Serpent Star in a very young Biocube last year and it did struggle. He is now is a seven month old 90 gallon and very happy. +1 on being hardy.

Linckias are sensitive. If anyone along the chain of custody (before you got it) didn't acclimate it properly, it will disintegrate.

The trickiest part is acclimating after a long shipping period. Easier if it comes home from a local place, in a short amount of time.

Your best bet in either case is to check the specific gravity it came in before you start acclimating (this applies to anything, really). If it has been in a bag 24 hours or more, pH will drop and once you open the bag, chemical reactions happen quickly and there's a delicate balance between getting it out of gross water quickly enough, but not so quickly that you shock it with a fast specific gravity change (or pH - but pH will be low in old bag water).

If acclimated properly to a tank with stable parameters, they can and will live for many years.

Jenn

The fromonia (spelling) stars are a nice addition. I've got several stars in my tank. Only issue I had with a star was a blue linkia. My orange linkia has been in my tank over a year now.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Ok so the blues seem to be the finicky ones from yells comments and research. Thanks ladies and gents.

Back