Starry Night Dying

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
We have a Starry Night that grew like a beast for over a year but it has been in decline for the last few weeks. It started as a plug and encrusted a good size rock.

The only parameter problem I've noticed recently is Calcium at 360 for two weeks in a row and residue at the top of the tank as if something is precipitating.

Current parameters;
Mag 1400
Alk. 10.3 (was 13 one week ago and I lowered dose)
Calc 425
Phos .01
PH 8.0
Nitrate .5
Sal 1.025

I do a 15 - 18 gallon water change every other Saturday and have roughly 85 gallons of water.

Anything else I need to check? The tank has been up for a little over two years and nothing new has been added in the last 6 months. All other corals and fish seem fine in the mixed reef.

I'm attaching a photo that is a bit distorted due to my LEDs. You will see the areas around the edges that are turning white and dying.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Go ahead and drag off a part well above the necrosis as an insurance frag

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

The alk spike could have had something to do with it.

Just get parameters back in check and steady . Hope it stabilizes

I wouldn't worry too much about low CA. It would inhibit growth, but I haven't seen it cause a case of STN.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Go ahead and drag off a part well above the necrosis as an insurance frag

Good call.

Once you check out all the usual parameters, not a bad idea to make sure your test kits are up to snuff by maybe have someone double check the same sample of water with a different set of kits.

Also, check out any magnets in the system for signs of rusting.

Back