Started my Nano..need some advice?

kh971

Market
Reaction score
I got my 28 gal nano up and running, I have got it tweaked as I want it and I bought some base rock and have it arranged as I like it. Now I want one nice coralline encrusted piece of LR , with no unwanted pests(bristeleworms) or alages attached to it. Any idea of a fish store in Atlanta that would overnight me a piece (2lb-3 lb) that I could help start my tank with?

Thanks Keith

overnighting is just as easy for me.

Overnighting even a little rock would be kind of pricey. Coralline will show up on its own......whether you want it to or not.

well not magically but its on just about every bit of live rock out there and most frag plugs or its spores (or however it reproduces) will be in the water. basically it'll get introduced into your system one way or another

^^^^ What he said. Snail shells, frag plugs.......it's going to show up, one way or another.

I knew that it would come on snail shells and plugs, it was all the other beneficial bacteria and pods that would come on a good piece of rock.

That's where the coin toss comes in. There really isn't a way to guarantee a rock to be 100% pest free. Maybe a local reefer near you might have an established tank you can swap rocks with.

Pods can be bought. Bottled bacteria can be bought. I'm sure most wouldn't mind giving you a scoop of their sand if needed.

I know there are pests that no one wants to come in on their LR (ie aptasia, mantis shrimp, etc...) but some critters are more of a blessing than you may think. The first time I saw a bristle worm I freaked out, but now don't mind having them. Just another member of my CUC that does a great job of eating leftovers and such. Again, don't get me wrong there are a lot of things that can hitch a ride, and can be harmful, but they can just as easily come in on frags and other things you add as you progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

On startup using dry/base rock and seeding a few choice chunks of actual live rock will get you going for a heck of a lot less. Cured will have less potential die-off but have a lower likelihood of hitchhikers... desirable & non.

Been meaning to try these folks out - http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=25">http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=25</a>

Prices seem reasonable and they sell smaller quantities than 10lbs in varying states of cured-ness to suit.

kh971;941804 wrote: I never knew coralline would just show up?

Here is a couple of pictures from a tank I set up recently. All dead rock and 2.5 months later you can see the coraline growth.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

There is no substitute for good live rock. Just check for the pets you can see (Aptasia the the like). But if it were me and I was starting a new tank. I would import uncured rock. Let it cycle your tank. The amount of life that you get both in the form of algae and critters is well worth the process. It makes for a stronger cycle, a healthier tank, and a better balanced ecosystem. Maybe people try to cheat nature and add bottled life and bacteria but IMHO it hurts them in the end. (Believed me, tried it all way possible over the years)

Now, you have a nano so ordering uncured rock in the quantity that you need might be cost prohibitive (plus you already have some rock). So just use some good old fashioned live rock from a local seller.

BTW: Bristleworms and some types of algae are a good thing.

Yes, I know about live rock, since I had a 150 gallon reef and a 240 reef. Dr. Mac sent my last batch that I picked up from the airport. I had a ton of life in my Fiji rock, but as in the past I have seen many that fought many unwanted hitchhikers and outbreaks of alage. I am just trying to be careful. This is definitely not my first rodeo, I was just looking for a recommendation of an Atlanta fish store that might send me a 2-4 lb piece with nice alage with beneficial bacteria and some pods from a well established system with hopefully no unwanted hitchhikers. I have no problem paying for shipping. I have not been to any of the stores up there, so I am blind as to who has nice rock and whose system is plagued with aptasia?

Back