Starting a new aquarium...questions!

cjsparky

Market
Reaction score
Hello all!

So some may remember me from when I was building my 125g 72" tank from a little over a year ago. I had to move, things were uncertain, and to make a long story short, had to part out my tank and sell it.

Well here I am looking to get back into the game, and I have a few questions.

First off I am either selling or trading the last of my 6' tank, which is a Outer Orbit 72" 3 x 250 w/ T5 kit. I have several options...

First I may be able to trade straight up for a Solana 34g with Disco ball

Second, I could put in a few more hundred and get a RSM 130D, or a Solana 34 with a pendant MH or a Nova 6 x 18W t5 fixture, both new.

Third I could pour a few more hundred and get a Cadlights Pro 39g setup w/ LED fixture.

Fourth I could go a few more hundred and get the 50G Cadlights setup w/ LED fixture.

I am looking to stay with an AIO as I reside in a 1 BR Apartment with Aprox 1100 sq.ft. and have the perfect place for a cube viewable from 3 sides. The first option would depend on what it came with in addition to the tank setup vis a vis Livestock, substrate, sand, etc.

Main question is this...What can I put in a 34 gallon...a 39 Gallon that I may not have been able to get away with in a 34 gallon, and a 50 Gallon that I couldn't have gotten away with in a 39 gallon.

Second, with any of these tanks, can I include a small tang, and 'foster' it until adolescence where I would look to trade it for coral or sell it...as it would be getting too big then? Baby tangs are just adorable, but I would never make a decision that was cruel to the fish...

Will all the tanks be able to support a mandarin once the tank is mature?

Just a note, the Cadlights pro 39G actually has closer to 50G of water volume, as it has a sump, below, which would help with a healthy pod population as the tank matures.

I am also open to some suggestions, but I do like the rimless look, and am limited to what kinds of DIY projects I can take on due to apartment life.

So what are your thoughts? Also thinking about going with black sand...anyone have opinions on that?

Christian

Whoooo... the tang police are gonna scold you! hahaha! Though I'll admit when I had my 55 setup, it had a small hippo in it (size of a quarter... maybe a little bigger at the start).

I couldnt really help you one which system to buy as I've never seen one of those in person or had one (only AIO I've ever had is a JBJ NC 12DX), but the available fish would be pretty much the same in the 34, the 39 or the 50. The thing that would change would be the number of fish.

Back to the tang topic... could you put a super baby tang in a 50 for a short time... probably... are you (and me for suggesting it) gonna get yelled at... you bet. Its not a big enough home for them to mature and be happy.

I would skip any tang. Very small ones would be ok temporarily in the 50 but I don't think it's good practice to buy fish for a "later tank upgrade".

I also don't think any of those tanks can adequately support a mandarin even when the tank is fully established.

If those were my tank choices I would probably stick with wrasses and perhaps a dwarf angel as my focal fish.

OK Tangs are out...Mandarin is out :( Really wanted a Mandarin. 2 fish I enjoyed watching last tank was a Daimond Watchman, and a Lawnmower Blenny. Any word on these being ok? The DW I had in my 125 was a 'hell of an engineer' lol

CJ

for the record.. I've got a 30L that's housed a tang for over a year..

and a porc. puffer for almost that long..

Rbredding;651183 wrote: for the record.. I've got a 30L that's housed a tang for over a year..

and a porc. puffer for almost that long..

And you wouldnt be the only one to have ever done it. Some on here just get their undies in a wad about it.

Just really liked watching Tangs...was thinking I could get a baby, raise it till about 3 " then sell it or trade it to someone for something else later. Ill play safe and go with stuff that is ok in smaller tanks tho.

Edit: Another opportunity I just found is a 60 Gallon reef tank stocked for $950...seems like a deal!

CJ

Corals and possibly clams will be on the list of things to look at.

Would someone please take a look at this...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/2413196555.html">http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/2413196555.html</a>

Not rimless but seems like a good deal...I am torn...I really like the look of rimless...

CJ

I think that ad is Jeremy's. Aka Insane_Reef_Keeper here.

Jenn

JennM;651206 wrote: I think that ad is Jeremy's. Aka Insane_Reef_Keeper here.

Jenn

Yep...just figured that out. I am curious if the stand got painted and the top was finished...

OK so I have pulled the trigger...kind of redonkulous...but I went in a different direction. I really was leaning towards the Cadlights system, 50G Artisan , but I chose to go with a local vendor instead. The cost will be probably double when all is said and done, but the vendor is someone whom is very respected here, and someone who I have dealt with before. I finally decided that dealing with someone local whom I trust, as well as my piece of mind, is well worth the extra cash.

So with that being said, incoming Oceanic 57G Illuminata build!

Christian

Back