Starting all over

reefknight

Market
Reaction score
Hello to everyone!

It has been a long while since I have been a real active member of this site, I hope to be able to have a more active role once again. After a few personal tragedies last year, I lost my entire 90gal system. I only have a few fish that made it through the tragedies. My 90 gal was broken down on Sunday and the fish transfered to an exisiting cube. As a few friends have recently reminded me; "What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger". ;)

Before all of the tragedy I purchased a Deep Sea Aquatics Neo 185gal (Aug/09). The original plan was to tranfer the livestock as well as the equipment. Well that isn't happening now. :sad:

I am happy to announce that my son and I began work on the DSA this week. We have cut and fitted the PVC plumbing and have worked out several "kinks" in my original plans. Working on the mounting and placement of all of the control / electrical needs for the tank today. Hopefully this weekend, with the help of my bro-in-law, we will black out the back of the tank and mount the light fixture. Next week cement pumbing and water test the tank. Later in the week begin mixing the saltwater and filling the tank. I'll start a build thread soon on the tank to manage updates and its progress, but as a teaser here are a couple of shots "under the hood". :yay:

img0298a.jpg
>http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/6853/img0298a.jpg</a>

img0297gw.jpg
>http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6060/img0297gw.jpg</a>

img0295pa.jpg
>http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/761/img0295pa.jpg</a>

img0294lp.jpg
>http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9939/img0294lp.jpg</a>

Equipment list

Tank - DSA Neo 185gal ( 60"Lx30"Wx25"H)
Sump - 50gal breeder, divided into three sections. (Skimmer, return, fuge)
Skimmer - KZ Revolution Small w/ Aquabee 2000/1
Light - ATI Powermodule 10 x 54w
Return pump - ATB Flowstar 1500
In Tank - Vortech MP40w(+ Battery), Tunze 6055(2) and Tunze 6025
Ato - Tunze Osmo
Controller - ACIII w/ Aquasurf
Heat/Chiller - Jager 300w, JBJ Artica 1/4hp (if needed)

Let me know what y'all think of the plumbing scheme and enjoy!

Bill, give me a call if ANY help is needed. I am simply down the road from you and have no problem lending a hand!

@ Chris - Thanks

@Tex - It gives me control over all the lines. If I need to slow a drain down due to turbulence and noise, dial it back. My returns have valves so that I can control my water change valve to the left side. Shut off flow to the tank and pump all the water out of the sump. Or I can leave them open and back siphon water out of the display I've got one valve on the fuge drain and one on a 1/2" tee for a media reactor.

I did something like this on my previous tank and it worked well.

Never met (obviously) but glad you're back, and whatever your personal tragedies were, I'm glad you have this project going with your son. That kind of thing is awesome for kids. :)

cr500_af;631263 wrote: Never met (obviously) but glad you're back, and whatever your personal tragedies were, I'm glad you have this project going with your son. That kind of thing is awesome for kids. :)

Thanks! You're absolutely correct, its a great hobby for children to participate in. It teaches them a vast number of lessons in a fun way. He has always been interested in my aquariums, whether fish only or reef. Funny story, Jorge (@ Pure Reef) use to take my son around the Star Aquatics and quiz him on different corals and fish. My son(~9yrs old) would amaze him with how many he got correct! Now at 14yrs, he can stand there and name off just about any coral or fish you want.

Shrimpy Brains;631274 wrote: I don't know you either, but welcome back. no one can stay away too long!

Looking good!

Thank you! Hopefully all those pipes will be cemented on Sunday, then water test.

anomaly;631588 wrote: I'm not attacking you so please don't take it as so, but I've always been under the impression that you never want to limit a drain. A drain pipe might be the better solution to reducing noise and turbulance.

I say this because I've had multiple times where open drains have become clogged enough to cause overflows. Usually rebel snails who hate the display tank. Nonetheless, I'd hate to see you try to reduce flow to eliminate noise or turbulance only to later be the cause of an overflow.

*note: I can't see pictures since I'm at work, but I assume we're referring to a ball/gate valve on the drain side of your tank.

No not at all, I welcome anyone's opinion. :yay:

I am using durso style standpipes in the overflow(thought I had included that, oops). On my last tank I had a piece of acyrlic cut to fit over the top of my overflow box to keep snail out and I also use a piece of eggcrate cut to fit the interior of the durso. This helps to eliminate the possiblitly of a rouge snail and also helps prevent algae growth inside the overflow box. For what its worth, I never restrict the drain much. And yes I use true union ball valves on all the drains / returns.

Really like the 2 islands. Lots of open room for fish and to grow out some big SPS colonies.

Following along.

Thanks guys!

The purpose of the rock work is to create a reef gorge or canyon appearence. Once the sides and top of the rocks are grown out with SPS, it'll create shaded areas below for zoa's and lower light LPS. I've left the surrounding edges open for LPS's and hopefully a clam or two.

Back