Stealth heaters going bad

olds350racer

Market
Reaction score
Quick questions to those who have had a stealth heater fry. Did it give you any visible signs?

I had one go. I felt a tingle when putting my hand in the water. That was the only notice I had. It was used when I got it though, so no telling on age.

Thanks for the input Derek. I have had no equipment changes in over a year and now I'm suddenly tripping a breaker (20 amp). I'm working though the old fashion "process of elimination", but have yet to find the culprit. I can tell you my hand is not going in the water until I find the problem. :)

You can try a multimeter if you have one. Test voltage to ground ad unplug things one at a time and look for a swing.

I'd venture to say heaters are the 1st place I'd look in that event. Next would be cheapo pumps like mags and MJs.

I said they were cheap, not bad! I have 2 that are my little workhorses.

But I guess if you have a MJ go bad, you are doing something really wrong. THey are like the cockroaches of aquarium equipment. SO, I retract my previous statement.

Good to hear. I tried to call you today to see how it was going, but I guess you were a little to busy to give me a tele-hug.

So exactly which <u>is</u> the most reliable heater? I always thought Stealths were okay? I'm hearing more and more bad stuff about them though.

Mine got a case of the mumps. Had multiple bubbles over the length of the heater.

I think stealths are fine, but as anything will, they can go bad over time.

IME the most reliable heater is a Ranco controller with a titanium heating element plugged into it.

Ebo-Jaeger heaters used to be the gold standard, but ever since they were purchased by Eheim a few years ago I saw their quality decline, so I am not sure what is best now. I have a 250 watt Stealth in my plant tank, and it works just fine and has been for a couple years.

Back