Sterilite containers claim to be safe for aquarium use.

tony_caliente

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: #002060;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;">Read from the bottom and see my note to Sterilite Customer </span><span style="color: darkred;">Service and their response. This may be a money-saver. Home Depot has 106 quarts sizes for less tha $12.</span> </span></span>

<span style="color: #002060;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;">Thank you for contacting Sterilite. </span></span></span>

<span style="color: #002060;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;">Our products are made of polypropylene plastic, which is a food safe material. </span></span></span>

<span style="color: #002060;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;">The polypropylene used in our containers meets FDA requirements in the Code of Federal Regulations for all food contact excluding actual cooking applications. </span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">No Latex, BPAs (bisphenol A), PVCs, Teflon, or other stain resistant chemicals are used in our manufacturing process.</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">Sterilite does not use any harmful materials in the production of our products.</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">Prior to use with your aquarium, we suggest you wash the container using a cleaning solution you have successfully used in the past. Rinse thoroughly as you would with any other container you use for aquatic life. </span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">Mary Kay</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">Customer Service</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">-----Original Message-----</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">From: mailto:webform@sterilite.com">webform@sterilite.com</a> [mailto:webform@sterilite.com] [/B]</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">[B]Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:35 PM[/B]</span></span></span>

[IMG]mailto:tanner2004@comcast.net"><span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #0000ff;">[B]tanner2004@comcast.net[/B]</span></span></span></a>

<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">[B]E-Mail Address: [/B]</span></span></span>[IMG]mailto:tanner2004@comcast.net"><span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #0000ff;">[B]tanner2004@comcast.net[/B]</span></span></span></a>
<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">[B]Phone Number: 7707771081[/B]</span></span></span>
<span style="color: #002060;">[B]<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;">Fax Number: </span></span>[/B]</span>

<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">[B]City, State & ZIP: Alpharetta[/B]</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">[B]Country: GaA[/B]</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">[B]Inquiry:[/B]</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">[B]--------[/B]</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #002060;">[B]I notice some semi-clear (non-colored) totes at Home Depot. They ranged in size. One was as large as 106 guarts. Are they food-grade? I want to store artificially prepared sea water (for an aquarium) for a few days, possibly 2 weeks and I want to ensure that nothing leaches out of the plastic. Thank you.[/B]</span></span></span>

dawgdude;421675 wrote: Hehe Mary Kay. Shes in the wrong industry.

I thought the same thing on the Mary Kay....lol.

I use the Sterilite containers for about everything aquarium related. I use the gray ones cause wal-mart had the 20 gallon for $3.99...can't hardly beat that.

I've been using them for years for small sump continers or places to put skimmers, etc. So long as they're not exposed to MH lighting (and maybe T-5HO as well).

Thank you for confirming that they are safe. I am using them as sumps on two of my tanks and have used them for keeping rock until my 75g tank was up. It just makes me feel better to have comformation.

Back