Still Baffled by Red Slime

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
When I first started posting about cyano several weeks ago I was given many recommendations, I have been implementing them as fast as possible, but I am certain I found more tonight.

Actions taken;
- cut back on feedings and drastically reduced the amount of frozen foods.
- added a GFO reactor, it has gotten PO4 levels almost to an ideal level over the last several weeks.
- added a carbon reactor, but it has not been in use long enough to help with Nitrates.
- I removed and tossed one rock that continually had cyano pop up on it. That was after multiple scrubbings didn't do it.
- added Seachem Purigen a few weeks ago, no reduction in Nitrates though.
- added a Vortech for better flow.

Tonight is the first I have seen of it in a while so the frequency has been lowered, but I was shocked to find it on the overflow, I thought cyano didn't like flow, one of the recommendations was to directly add flow to the problem areas.

<span style="color: Red;">What else should I be testing for aside from PO4 and Nitrates? </span>My corner overflow is nasty again with algae within two weeks of letting turbo snails wipe it clean. It also seems like I am cleaning my glass more than I was before adding the extra products.

Unfortunately cyano is not your typical pest algae more like the closest link you can get between algae and bacteria. I'm a huge proponent of Chemiclean but caution it's use to the exact instructions on the package. Any cyano I've ever had chemiclean was my last and only successful fix.

you see, the only problem when you don't use an enzyme.... welll you didn't use an enzyme!
Blowing it all around your tank does nothing.

Chemiclean will do it. I've used it a few times on a sps tank with no ill effects.

Make sure you have enough water made up to do the last water change as per directions.

B

It's that time of year. Cyano abounds in the springtime.

You may have posted parameters in another thread, but what are the parameters now? Including temperature.

Do you vacuum the substrate regularly?

How long is your photoperiod, and what kind of light do you have?

What size tank, inhabitants, age of system, etc?

Jenn

I prefer the UltraLife Red Slime Remover. It's a bit more dummy-proof than Chemiclean, but every bit as effective. We even used it with clams (do so at your own risk).

Both products work - but figuring out and addressing the underlying cause is the key to long-term control.

You'll never be totally rid of it - it's one of the oldest life forms on the planet, but when it's in check, you don't see any visible signs of it.

Jenn

ok, 400 responses for chemi clean and/or red slime remover...

what does he do?

what does he do?

what does he do?

OMG! WHAT did you do?

Sorry, I had no idea that so many people had replied until I had an email that Mysterybox did so.

I'll try the Chemiclean, just for fun I'll give a full report of parameters tomorrow night. FWIW, the cyano started when we were still in Winter. Lol, yes I know it's cold again.

Back