Still Micro Bubble Scrubbing?

AquariumSchmo

Market
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, it seemed like all the reef tank related YouTube channels were hyping up micro bubble scrubbing. Since then, I rarely hear any mention of it. Just wondering if anyone here ever did it? Did you find it beneficial. Are you still bubble scrubbing? If so, how often and how long?

For anyone not familiar, basically, you place a wooden air stone near the return pump to send micro bubbles into your display. There is supposed to be a lot of benefits, but I would say it is debatable.

I'm not promoting this idea; was just thinking about it recently. I do it occasionally, but not often.

I only learned about it from @bhodges82 I know he used to do it but don't recall if it's still part of his routine.

I used to do and found it moderately helpful, but don’t do it presently.

It's not currently setup in my new sump as of yet, but I will continue to do it. 3 hours per night via apex.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I found this link from reef2reef....

Its supposed to remove toxins, bad bacteria, algae, slime, and promote coral growth and polyp extension. You can check out videos of the nasties they pull out with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Its supposed to remove toxins, bad bacteria, algae, slime, and promote coral growth and polyp extension. You can check out videos of the nasties they pull out with it.

Its kinda like a huge skimmer reactor in the tank, gonna have to try this!!

I had to look this up too. I can understand it helping exchange gasses, regulating the pH, and binding to dissolved organics; but I’m unsure of all the other claims people make about it. Nonetheless, very interesting!

That said, I still will refrain as I like both sponges and giant clams in my reef. The last thing I want is a micro bubble getting inside one of them and wiping out a colony. So like most things in this hobby; we have to weigh our options.

I had to look this up too. I can understand it helping exchange gasses, regulating the pH, and binding to dissolved organics; but I’m unsure of all the other claims people make about it. Nonetheless, very interesting!

That said, I still will refrain as I like both sponges and giant clams in my reef. The last thing I want is a micro bubble getting inside one of them and wiping out a colony. So like most things in this hobby; we have to weigh our options.
I've still got sponge growing in my tank, i didn't really think about the effects it could have on them until now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I don't believe most of the claims either, especially the "nano" part. I do believe that at times bubbling can be good, beneficial even. There are storms in the ocean and as long as they're not severe where they do damage the bubble action should remove things from the reef.

I use Wasteaway from time to time and upon completion I'll turn an air pump on to help pull everything down to the sump. I have a clam and don't see any ill effects. But I'm not doing it very frequently.

Any time I hear the word "toxins" i think snake oil. I saw it a while back and though all it does is make your corals slime up and your skimmer go nuts.

Im guessing it fell off the radar because it actually didnt do anything. If it actually did work, someone would be selling it by now.

That’s good to hear regarding both your sponges and clams.

I’ll still withhold; but will consider finding a way to mitigate potential infections. Some clams live relatively close to the surface and receive storm agitation; but most sponges are going to be deeper and far from ever coming into contact with bubbles in the wild.

Any time I hear the word "toxins" i think snake oil. I saw it a while back and though all it does is make your corals slime up and your skimmer go nuts.

Im guessing it fell off the radar because it actually didnt do anything. If it actually did work, someone would be selling it by now.
Oh absolutely. Corals slime because they are stressed. It is a defense mechanism. I can't see how them using energy to produce slime would be beneficial to long term growth. I think now with people going to BB tanks, much of the detritus that was gathered in the bubbling events is already eliminated by higher flow.

If you see it on facebook, then it must be true! ;)

The 'claims' are suspect, imho.

If they aren't getting sufficient gas exchange, then I suggest they get a bigger skimmer and/or better flow.

FWIW- Most people go to some lengths to eliminate micro bubbles in their aquaria.
My $0.02

I haven't been back to that thread on R2R in quite some time. I remember Richard Ross and I questioning the OP about his claims and there were never any answers. Just diversion. To the point that Richard was considered hostile in the thread. Richard's username is Thales on R2R. If you dig into the thread it can get pretty entertaining at times.

Back