Stock list and Advice on fish

sailfish

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I want to know if anyone here has had these fish in a reef tank. </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Harlequin Tusk I understand that these fish may eat snails& shrimp but what other problems may he cause.</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Any type of Goat Fish. I really like watching these guys search the sand.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Tank would be a 156 gal mixed reef mostly sps. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">My fish list looks something like this.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">2 tangs</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">1 Scott’s fairy wrasse</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">1 Leopard wrasse</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Maybe a Christmas wrasse</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">1 Midas Blenny</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">5 Bimaculatus Anthias</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Thanks Joe</span></span>
<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';"></span>

Dude, you blow your money on nice acans and sps, why not have a few nice wrasse?!? Flame, lineatus, flashers???
Instead you want a Scotts that will lose its color, a leopard that has a low survival rate, a xmas (not bad, but don't compare to the afore mentioned wrasses). Your tank is TOO nice not to have one or two of these fish.

And don't most goatfish get HUGE? I just saw one in the Bahamas this weekend that was over a foot long!

Different strokes for different

I have my eye on a flame wrasse pair but I don't like dainty looking fish. I have heard the flame can be aggressive. You have one right? How is yours?

The Scott's, leopard, and Christmas are all beefy fish. I have also had all of these fish except the Scott's at one time or another.

Joe

I have 3 flame in my solana, one male and 2 females. The only other fish in the tank is a pair of onyx clowns. I would not label flames as aggressive wrasse, certainly compared to mystery, 6 lines, and even rhomboids. The only aggression I see if the male chasing the females and flashing. Quite a spectacle.
Oh, by the way, I heading to LSU this weekend to see the Dawgs annihilate the tigers. Not way 'Bama can beat the Dawgs twice, and your second half performances are nothing short of awful. Ole Miss, REALLY! J/K. Kind of....

Hmm nice to know about the fish. Can't always trust what you read.

As for football we will see you guys have a tough schedule. As long as Bama beats Auburn I will be happy. Hear that Linda. LOL

Joe

Harlequin Tusks are awesome fish! I like the Aussie ones better for colouration. They'll be model citizens as juveniles, but will eat snails and hermits when they get a little bigger. I've been thinking of adding one to my tank!

I'd like to do a trio of leopards; that would look cool.

I'm looking for a school of heniochus diphreutes; those are going to look really cool.

Yes the heniochus diphreutes would be nice. I like any schooling fish. I would love to have some of the angels but with my luck it will eat all my acans. I have the worst luck with semi reef safe fish.

All the real nice fish I want would out grow my tank or eat corals. (CrossHatch,acanthurus bariene).

Joe

Skriz;231849 wrote: Harlequin Tusks are awesome fish! I like the Aussie ones better for colouration. They'll be model citizens as juveniles, but will eat snails and hermits when they get a little bigger. I've been thinking of adding one to my tank!

I'd like to do a trio of leopards; that would look cool.

I'm looking for a school of heniochus diphreutes; those are going to look really cool.

Joe, I'm going to do a pair of angels in the 185. Any angels from the Genicanthus genus will do great in a reef. They are strictly planktivorous and will not bother polyps/SPS in a reef tank.

Thanks Jin I have had one for about 2 months and love her. It's also a plus that no one I know has them and they are on the larger side for anthias.

Joe

FutureInterest;231929 wrote: +1 on the bimacs. They are so beautiful...

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17373">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17373</a>

Suasati has a school of them. They are not easy to keep and he's one of the few people I know that have done so successfully. If I had a bigger tank I'd try them out myself but I'll stick with wrasses until I get bigger house/tank.

Bimacs would be incredible. I have been waiting on getting some myself, looking at various vendors. These guys rule. I like the ventralis as well:

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/anthias/ventralisanthias/">http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/anthias/ventralisanthias/</a>

On harlequin tusks, I love those fellas, but I decided not to get one after reading that they can be violent towards other fish. If I remember correctly, they are related to wrasses, so they may have some issues with other wrasses, but I am not 100% on that. Might also have something to do with how hungry thay get

On another note, I do know a guy that told me he had one years back, and he just ordered snails in bulk to feed it. He said it would tear right through them, but he ordered in quantity so the snails were pretty cheap.

WOW ! His look super fat & healthy they must on the juice.:lol2: I will have to PM him and find out his secret.

Thanks for the info Derick.

Thanks Joe

FutureInterest;232002 wrote: http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17373">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17373</a>

Suasati has a school of them. They are not easy to keep and he's one of the few people I know that have done so successfully. If I had a bigger tank I'd try them out myself but I'll stick with wrasses until I get bigger house/tank.[/QUOTE]

Ventralis are basically impossible to keep. I don't know of anyone that has successfully maintained them for more than a few months.

Granted they are gorgeous... but prolly better left in the ocean. There is a hawaiian variant though that is very similar in coloration but a lil larger and easier to keep. I think its P. hawaiianisis or something like that. Very difficult to find though.

I'll be that guy.

J/k

I dont know much about them, but have seen them available on some sites. I do like the impostor ventralis, but as you said, I have never seen them.

Back