Stocking Help

rdnelson

Market
Reaction score
I have a 45 gal long reef tank with a canister filter. I have aprox 40 lbs of live rock and run 6 54 watt T5HO lamps. The tank has been up and running since july. I do a weekly PWC of 10% regardless of my test results. Tests have been extreamly stable (8-8.1 PH, 0 Am, 0 Nitrite, 0-.5 Nitrate, 420 Cal, 7 (125.3) Alk, 1300-1350 mag (I dose now and again based on readings)

My current stock list is as follows:

Fish:
1 Kole Yellow Eye Tang
1 6 Line Wrasse
2 Ocellaris Clowns
2 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Diamond Watchman Goby

Corals:
1 Nice colony Frogspawn
1 Very small Hammer
1 Zoa colony that covers a frag plug
1 2 Head Duncan
2 10-12 Button Polyp
1 4" x 2" Monti
1 3 Head (almost 4 Head) Candy Cane
1 Daisy polyp (covers a frag plug and some)
1 Toadstool Mushroom 3" Dia

Ok, now for the question. My wife has been bugging me wanting another fish. Ok, so I want one too. My question is, do you think I have a bit of room left to add something? I know in a year or two I will need to rehome the kole or get a bigger tank but in the mean time????

If so, give me some suggestions on a good add. Everything in the tank gets along well except the kole will occasionally chase the goby. He has never nipped him but more like "the thrill of the chase" for him. :) I would like a mid level swimmer with nice color that will stand out. Don't really want to risk loosing corals.

Any and all help/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

All the corals you have don't have an issue with a little dirty water. I don't think you would have any issues with adding another fish if it is small. Maybe a hawkfish since you don't have any shrimp. Or maybe add a shrimp since they have a very small bio-load and have great personality as well.

Specialty clowns or clowns in general with a host. Adds great color and character to the tank

the Kole needs a bigger tank to start out with........

Get rid of the Kole and 2 chromis and get a few different wrasses?

all kinds of small fish combinations....

Forgot to mention that I have a fire shrimp as well. Oops

I appreciate the input and would love for anyone else to chime in as well.

A Yellow Face Pygmy Angel (Cherub) like the one pictured below. I have one in an SPS dominated tank and it doesn't bother anything. Your wife will love him. I promise. Very small, spunky, and cute. Got mine at SEA a couple months back. Very happy with the buy.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
707150=33624-lg-66609-Pygmy-Cherub.jpg
>
707150=33624-lg-66609-Pygmy-Cherub.jpg
class="gc-images" title="lg-66609-Pygmy-Cherub.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Thanks Seth. That is a cool looking fish. Liveaquaria lists it as semi-aggressive. Think it would leave the other fish alone? The blue chromis are pretty small.

I've not had any aggression issues at all. Could be there are other fish in the tank that intimidate him but I have a mix of fish listed as "peaceful" and "aggressive" and all of them seem happy. There are always exceptions. I once had a Kole tang that was the tank bully. I rely heavily now on my favorite LFS to give me advice based on my current stock and tank size.
I never would have bought the Cherub angel without the LFS's encouragement. FWIW a very knowledgable ARC Memeber was checking out next to me when I bought it and told me my SPS would all be destroyed because an angel he had did.

I've found there is a lot of good general knowledge here on ARC. But, ARC is more a general practitioner for your ailments when sometimes what you really need is a neurologist. (LFS)

I hear you. :) That is why I like to get lots of differing opinions. Good or bad, they help me to understand and make better decissions. The kole was a perfect example. Many said don't do it in a tank that size but many I have come to trust (including a trusted LFS) said they thought it would be fine as long as I accepted an upgrade or re-homing in the not so distant future. So far, he is loving life and I love having him in the tank.

Back