Storing Live Rock

reeferkeifer

Market
Reaction score
So instead of breaking my tank down, the family wanted to keep it so I did a little aquascaping over the weekend and have some live rock that I'm not using. There's about 7 pieces but I want to hold on to them but not sure the best way to keep em. I don't know if I'll use them in my tank again so a few questions......

1 - Can I put some small pieces in my sump and just leave it alone for additional biofilter or do I need to clean my sump more often than 1 or 2x per year?

2 - Would leaving it out in the sun to dry be harmful if I ever wanted to put it in an already established tank?

If you have the space available, I would just put it in your sump and try to clean you sump a little more often. There's no sense in killing off the live creatures on the rock and going through the process of bringing it back if you don't have to.

Agree with putting in sump, but keep in mind without a light source most of the 'growth' like coralline algae will die off. You will still get the bacteria benefit but may not look as 'pretty' if you decide to put back in display tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back