Straight from the Wild

sucio_reefer

Market
Reaction score
I know most of the fish, inverts and corals we get are wild caught but they typically (we hope at least) go thru a few processes to make sure they are healthy and clean. Has any one ever put anything in their system they directly got from the sea themselves?

Ive caught plenty of sand dollars and hermits before at the beach but never brought any home. Has anyone else ever experimented with this?

Collection is regulated in most places. Check with local authorities before collecting anything to avoid problems. Also, coastal waters are sometimes polluted and bringing something in from the beach may be bringing in unwanted problems.

Sand dollars don't fare well in typical reef tanks. I'd leave them be.

Know what you're collecting before you bring it home - and know if it's legal to collect. Penalties are very stiff - including sand and rock which fall under protected status in many places.

If you do all that and collect, quarantine fish in particular, before introducing them to your system.

Over the years I had people bring me all kinds of unintended pests they didn't know were pests when they brought them home - and expected me to take them in. Whelks and such... well if you don't want them, I don't either... nor will anybody else, for the most part...

Jenn

Mangroves that have been washed up on the beach is usually fair game. Went to Florida once and a freak storm hit. The resort was picking up the stalks from their beach and chucking them away. They will give it to you if you ask, although they did give me a funny look. This was 3 years ago and many of the stalks are still alive now in different tanks and ponds.

Never thought about mangroves and such. I don't plan on collecting anything at the moment. My son asked if the hermits we got came from the beach we went to during summer where we caught a few and got me to thinking.

There's a collection permit you can acquire they will make it legal. I believe a personal one is 40-60, which allows you to collect certain specimen and small rocks under .75x.75 inch

Back