Stray Voltage and Vortechs

jonathan

Market
Reaction score
I noticed 3 volts in my tank and cannot find the culprit. I shutdown all the pumps, lights, vortechs and heaters and it is still there. Is it possible that the vortech's magnets are producing some sort of field even when unplugged?

I've heard of RF fields under power lines radiating enough juice to make a lightbulb flicker.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Crazy!!! J/k. There's a big diff though between power surging through lines and magnets pulling towards each other. I don't think the latter would produce any harnassable energy fields like the former. Perhaps its reading latent voltage that needs to be dispersed? Or are you reading actual current right now?

Sorry I did unplug everything in the display including the light. There shouldn't even be a connection to the basement sump with it powered off but i unplugged everything down there as well. I have no idea where it could be coming from.

red lead to tank, black to titanium grounding probe plugged into outlet ground. meter on auto. The meter was zeroed before test

the ma setting on the meter is not registering anything. I did get it to show .01 ma for just a second. I placed the red probe into the tank and the black probe to the grounded titanium rod.

I also grounded the black lead to a different recepticle and put the red lead into the sink with running water. This test registered 2.4v. Do you think i have current in the home wiring ground?

Thanks for the help.

Your aquarium is a container of electrolyte solution. There's virtually guaranteed to be an electrical potential (i.e. voltage) between your tank and a properly grounded house (or your grounding probe).

You're after an a device actually supplying current in your tank.

Jonathan;244111 wrote: Do you think i have current in the home wiring ground?

Thanks for the help.
Yes, considering the ground in your house is tied to the neutral at the panel. 2.4 volts could be anything from what George said to a static charge.

Back