Stray Voltage - Any ideas?

spartan

Reaction score
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">I have my hand in the tank or sump just about everyday. No problems until today. I have had a small outbreak of algae lately. I have tested the water, and all parameters look good, but have heard that nitrates could read at zero if algea is in the system even though they are present. So I added a little Seachem Prime to my system after work. I noticed that one of my corals had tipped over off of the frag rack, so I stuck my hand in to put it back, and I got a little zap. Nothing too bad, but enough that it was concerning.</span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"> </span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">So, like everyone else with this problem, I unplugged everything. I then put my hand back in, and didn't feel anything. Started plugging things back in one at a time, saving the heaters for last. Everything was fine until I plugged in my first heater. I have 4 heaters. 3 300 watt Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Smartheaters, and one Finnex 800 watt titanium tube w/ a Finnex controller. The first heater was one of the RENAs. Sure enough, I felt something. I unplugged it, and plugged in another RENA. Same thing, felt it again. Unplugged it and tried the third RENA, and felt it again. Unplugged it, and plugged in the Finnex, and felt it again. Unplugged all of the heaters again, and felt nothing. Heaters are in the sump, but I could feel the voltage in the main tank and, obviously (I was dumb enough to try it) in the sump.</span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Any idea how or why all four heaters would be leaking voltage in what seems like an overnight problem? Replacing one heater = no big deal, but all four... man. By the way, all of the heaters are less than 6 months old. If I have to replace them I will, but I am concerned about what would have caused all four to leak voltage at the same time.</span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Does anyone know of local sponsors that sell grounding probes? After getting zapped, I think I would like to add one. Obviously, I still need to address the underlying problem.</span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Thanks for reading,</span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Matt</span></span>

What size is this tank? 2000 watts is a lot of heaters to have for a tank.

Regarding your electrical issue. You may want to see if your outlet is properly grounded. Seems like you shouldn't have 4 problem heaters at once. Sounds like an outlet issue rather than an equipment issue. There are these small plug in testers that use a combination of lights to tell you if an outlet is wired correctly. You can get them at home depot.

I sell grounding probes but they are no substitute for properly functioning equipment.

Did you test with a multimeter? Or are you relying on your own self getting shocked? That *could* be something as simple as a static discharge.

Test it properly - then figure out what needs done.

Jenn

Tank is 240 gallons, sump is 100 gallons, fuge is 20 gallons. It is located in my basement, which is about 55 degrees. I added the 800 watt Finnex this winter when we had that cold stretch and my temp started to dip a little.

Looks like I am picking up a meter and trying to figure this one out this weekend.

Jenn, agreed. It is not a solution to the problem, and I want to address the problem. I am thinking of the probe as more of a preventative thing for the future, since that zap, while not painful, is not what you want to feel when you stick your hand in the tank.

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know once I have figured it out.

If you decide to use a grounding probe in your tank, I would strongly encourage you to install GFCI ( or sometimes called GFI's-'ground fault interupter' circuits) on all electrical circuits connected to the various tanks that you have, if they are not already present. This may save your life, should you happen to touch an exposed portion of a circuit and also touch the tank water. In this instance your body becomes part of the circuit, and the current could stop your heart. If you are not comfortable working on electrical circuits/doing the GFI install, contact an Electrician or perhaps someone on ARC will help you. Those GFI's are designed to shut off the current before you can get hurt. They do work.

As for your 'tingle', I also agree to get a DVM meter and check for voltage. It will be A/C, and a little is expected. Please post your results so that we (someone knowledgeable about this topic) can help you.
Just MHO.

Back