Stressed sps

stickman

Market
Reaction score
What kind of methods do you use to stress your sps corals for color. Just looking to experiment for crazy colors:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Sugar,vinegar, lighting, milk, honey, alk, cal, k, yoguart, zovet, b, no3,?

I've never tried to stress any coral. I'd think you would be more likely to get good color from stability then stress.

Camellia;1037811 wrote: I've never tried to stress any coral. I'd think you would be more likely to get good color from stability then stress.

He's looking for morphs, changes in conditions that will affect mainly sps. I've never intentionally done it but the way it usually happens is from switching up lights. Move from halide to led to t5 etc.

tater;1037813 wrote: He's looking for morphs, changes in conditions that will affect mainly sps. I've never intentionally done it but the way it usually happens is from switching up lights. Move from halide to led to t5 etc.

Aye, or the right combo of coral warfare were death doesn't come but causes a stress morph...

Nice. I'm trying to over due potassium, boron, iron right now with 14 hr light cycle on the radion. I did the bio pellet thing for a while but I didn't dig the pastel look

Stickman;1037973 wrote: Nice. I'm trying to over due potassium, boron, iron right now with 14 hr light cycle on the radion. I did the bio pellet thing for a while but I didn't dig the pastel look

Heavy dosage of iron will green stuff out, an od of koral color will cause stuff to orange (I've only done that with lps though)

I new about the green and Iron. My pink lemonade is electric green with blue new growth on base but I'm sure the led and potasium is to blame for that. When you od, is that a result of your orange acans in your profile pic?

Stickman;1037980 wrote: I new about the green and Iron. My pink lemonade is electric green with blue new growth on base but I'm sure the led and potasium is to blame for that. When you od, is that a result of your orange acans in your profile pic?

I think you're referring to the fathead dendros, but acans are usually quickest to take on an orange color. But most of the time they looked better before lol. I had some iron mans way back that were solid metallic orange due to someone dumping koral color in their tank, I brought them back to the original red and yellow.

Doesn't the corals color morphs return once you put it back in acceptable conditions ?

I know that some most If my coral turns back after stress but also most go through a nice brown phase.

Stickman;1038041 wrote: I know that some most If my coral turns back after stress but also most go through a nice brown phase.
What is a nice brown stage , I've only ever seen sps brown from bad water quality and I cant recall it being attractive and it takes a month+ to enrich with color again wouldn't it be counter productive to do what your proposing , stressing , overdose/poisoning sps coral to attempt an un natural color change that isn't from a lighting change just seems to be the opposite from what most hobbyist hope to achieve.

Stickman;1038054 wrote: I guess I'm not most hobbiest sorry!
Obviously , I'm pretty certain that most reef keepers cherish and appreciate there pets and wouldn't dream of purposely endangering them for no real reason.
IMO , if anything it shows a general lack or respect for the animals on your behalf and it shows how you view these animals as just another renewable resources you can replace with a trip to the lfs .
Think about what your asking , you want to poison a live animal to see if you can make an un natural color change.

Dawgface thanks for the reply I have seen the morph during chemical warfare in favites pentagonia war coral but never in acroporia! Do you have any experiance with species A. Morphs? Or better yet what have you seen this morph in besides monti?!

I have been using soy milk for A.A., also extra potassium And my palmers blue looks like nobody's I've ever seen. If you want a pic please pm me and I will text you it's insane " best in the hobby I've seen"

SPS yes, but things like Seriatoporia (birdsnest). I've heard claim but never seen proof in an acro.

In theory bleaching out would be the optimal time for new and different zooanthelle to take up residence and thus portraying a "morph". Real world, it's in theory and I can't offer much help beyound that.

Back