strontium

ldybkr

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone test for strontium on a regular basis? If you do, Where did you get the test kit and is it absolutely necessary?

Yes, as ralph said, unless your tank is HEAVILY stocked with hard corals, I wouldnt recomment dosing or testing for strontium. Especially if you use a quality salt, which should have acceptible levels of it mixed in.

Seachem makes a strontium test, and all I'll say about it is that it requires gloves and safety glasses. The process involved in seperating strontium from calcium, carbonates, and magnesium is quite hard to do.

That being said, NSW level of Sr is 8ppm. Seachem salt has a Sr level of 10ppm, so typically water changes with a good salt are enough.

Sr is a skeletal builder. It is used in very small quantities in the skeleton and forms a very strong material SrCO3(strontium carbonate) that helps make the skeleton less brittle. I've also heard that it acts as a glue in keeping polylps attached to skeletons- but I cannot say with certainty that that it is correct.

You may want to take a look at
a> by Randy Holmes-Farley.

Thanks for the article. I will do a 10% water change, then retest with a different kit. I sure appreciate your help.

Back