Stuff growing in my tank

ckwatson

Market
Reaction score
I has seen some new stuff in my tank and I dont think it is good. It is little white polyps and at night things come out about 2-3 inches.

IMG_3448Small.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_3449Small.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_3453Small.jpg
alt="" />

Also could these cause some of my coral to turn white at the tips

IMG_3464Small.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_3463Small.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_3451Small.jpg
alt="" />

Any help would be great I hope it is what ever is new in my tank and not something wrong with my coral.

i believe turning white at the tips means its growing.also i think those are a harmless scavanger of sorts but dont take it from me

The first two pics are sponges- I've got a number of them growing in my sump. I'm not sure what the other things are.

Most sps will have white growth tips, though.

I've got the same thing growing in my 29 I believe. They extend pretty far at night and if you shine a light at them they retract very quickly. I've been wondering what they are as well.

could theses be <span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: #1f125e;"> </span></span></span><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: #1f125e;"><span style="color: Black;">aiptasia that are growing in my tank. I have not seen any on the class yet.</span>
</span></span></span>

I beleive that the first is a type of sponge, as others have thought. The second looks like some that I have in mine. A freind of mine informed me that these were ok. I think he said they were a type of worm, either way they extend that "string" to catch particles as they pass in the current. Nothing that would be harmful. The white tips on your SPS's appears to be new growth.

The first and second are the same thing and the third is what comes out at night.

they are a type of worm that filters the water using the string filaments projected out into the tank. Very beneficial to the tank. Helps keep the floating particles down in the tank, keeps the water clean. Nothing to worry about.

I got them all over my tank also. They are filter feeders kind of like Feather dusters so they are perfectly safe. My overflow is loaded with them.

You should be happy about the white tips on the SPS :)

Those look like scypha sponges also called pineapple sponges for obvious reasons. Sponges are great, you really can never have too much of them in your tank unless they start clogging your overflow pipe :).

That white thing you're seeing is definitely a digitate hydroid. They come out primarily at night and "fish" for pods and other micro crustaceans. They are impossible to get rid of and are in truth not a big deal. They will irritate zoas but they can't do anything to sps from what I've seen.

As for the white tips... that's coral growth :). It's a good thing.

Back