Stupid Nitrate question....

oz

Market
Reaction score
I've heard that bioballs in your sump are nitrate factories but half the denitrate solutions come with bioballs. ????

Are the best nitrate reducing solutions sulfur based?

I don't really have a lot of time for a DIY so what's a cost efficient alternative?

Bioballs are really good at what they do (some would argue the best). Problem comes because they need to be cleaned good and often. Most people do not break down their bioballs to clean every two week, EVERY TWO WEEKS, come rain snow sleet or hail. Because of that is why they are not the best for most reefer lifestyles. There is nothing wrong with them per say. They just require work!

Since I don't want to have to clean bioballs every couple weeks and given the fact that I have over 300 lbs of live rock in my 155, all live rock rubble in the sump, a 50G separate fuge with 5" sand bed, and an oversized skimmer = bioballs are now out.

I took 25% out a month ago, and 25% each week until today. I think I'll be ok. I was spurred to do this when I had a PH flux and lost a large carpet. IT went behind the rocks and I believe is dying.

doing pretty large water changes to make sure things stay ok.

Any other thoughts?

Back