Stupid Stupid Stupid (Weld On question)

elfloyd

Supporting
Reaction score
Stupid because My MR2-R skimmer fell off my workbench. The cylinder and box are ok... But the lid and several other (blue) pieces shattered.

Now another DYI project.

I'm hoping Weld On will solve this... But not sure which product to use... I'm thinking Weld On 40.

Thoughts?

I did the same with my calcium reactor except mine was beyond repair... I did however similar acrylic work using Weldon 16 which worked quite well.

16 FTW!
I had to re-glue the base on a skimmer that was damaged in shipping. If you can put the puzzle together, it will work fine.

i would actually go with a thinner weld-on if you have all the pieces and you can put it back together with no gaps. Reason? The thicker weld-on is thicker because it contains dissolved acrylic (or whatever). This is what gives it the ability to fill larger gaps. If you have all the pieces and just need something to hold it together, I believe that the thinner weld-on (maybe 4) would be the best. Otherwise, you will be adding material between the pieces and may find that the last few pieces do not fit quite right.

Disclosure... I'm not an acrylic expert, but these are my thoughts. Take it for what you will.

I have big pieces and small pieces... May try thin on the big pieces and see where i have gaps.

Thinner stuff for sure. 3or 4 I'd be glad to help you with it as I have the weldon. But it would be a ride for you.:)

I have some of the 16 and live in NW Forsyth if you need help. From what I have done, I would use 16. It isn't even the consistancy of syrup. The good part about it is, it will wick into cracks effectively sealing them as well. I am not completely sure how much is left in the tube I have but we can give it a try. I got mine from Pure Reef but they were out of it a week ago. I think they had some on order though.

Thanks for offers of help... This needs to go at the bottom of my DYI list... After finishing the stand... Replacing the floor in my office... And modifying my sump. All this is squeezed between my "honey do" list and hectic travel schedule.

Last night my daughter asked me when I'll have the build complete... I told her its all about the journey... Then you get to enjoy the results.

McMaster-Carr stocks Weld-on FWIW.
Tube of 16 shipped was like $9.
16 is not that thick, I usually have coffee thicker. :)
Only concern I'd have is using it on a sealing surface, it tends to distort the material when it melts the pieces together a bit.
In my case I put the pieces together and applied the glue to the cracks as opposed to gluing the cracks and putting them together. Either way should work if you use care.
I also found a little heat from a heat gun prior to glue will make it 'kick' a little faster.

grouper therapy;728529 wrote: Have you checked on buying replacement parts? I'm sure Sea could get them for you.

Not yet... That's the plan for this week. But I know some may not be able to be replaced.

grouper therapy;728529 wrote: Have you checked on buying replacement parts? I'm sure Sea could get them for you.

Killjoy. You just have to take all the fun out of it don't you. :roll:

grouper therapy;728535 wrote: I only suggested that after you volunteered to help:D:D j/k or course

Smart move. LOL You been talking to Wayne again?????

Back