Substrate suggestions/options

jef4y

Market
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm looking for suggestions on substrate for my new 150.

Right now I have Caribsea SeaFlor Special Grade Reef Sand which is a bit coarse, but more over it has significant clumping problems. I have massive sections that are absolutely SOLID and I want to avoid that in the upgrade.

In the past, I have tried MarcoRocks fine sand in the past and while GORGEOUS, it is powder fine and was too fine. It blew everywhere no matter what I did, so I scrapped that.

He now has a coarse grade of sand which I'd love to see, but after 4 emails, 1 voicemail and a hit on facebook I'm convinced that he doesn't want my money which is VERY frustrating.

What I would like is a light colored (black is out for me, just not a fan), FINE grade sand, but not powder fine.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

I'm not interested in any used substrate thanks.

I need about 1.25 cu-ft (1.5 would be fine) to lay down a 1.5" layer in my 150. By calculation, 2 5 gallon pails would more than suffice as well. Weight wise, I have no idea.

Thanks for your time/recommendations.

My favorite substrate is the World wide imports Samoan pink. A+ stuff

Edit: I used to like the black, and then I got a vortech. Magnetic sand plus vortech = pita

Ripped Tide;768867 wrote: My favorite substrate is the World wide imports Samoan pink. A+ stuff

That does look like some decent stuff. Do you have the #1 or #2 size & any problems with clumping??

No clumping issues so far, but I imagine that would be more based on a precipitation due to an imbalance.

I am not sure of the size, but my sting rays successfully bury in it.

Carib sea Fiji pink sounds like it would be perfect for you.

I've read countless threads on substrate clumping and the debates over whether it's precipitating or not, and logic says it is, but I dunno. In any event I do want to try something new and smaller grain.

Raj - the Fiji Pink does look pretty much like what I'm interested in. Now I have to calculate volume on it somehow.

JeF4y;768874 wrote: I've read countless threads on substrate clumping and the debates over whether it's precipitating or not, and logic says it is, but I dunno. In any event I do want to try something new and smaller grain.

Raj - the Fiji Pink does look pretty much like what I'm interested in. Now I have to calculate volume on it somehow.

1 bag per ft if your 150 is 5' long 1 1/2 per foot if its a 4' long the big bag can't rember thank its 30-50lb it will give around 1" -1 1/4 depth
I went with (cs) special grade wen I set up this tank a last month got rid of it in just a few days and went back to Fiji pink it just looks better

You are welcome to come check out my tank today or Monday if you want to see the sand. I'll be home at 3

Tank is 60x24. Bags are 15 or 40#.

Edit:
Ripped Tide;768908 wrote: You are welcome to come check out my tank today or Monday if you want to see the sand. I'll be home at 3

Very cool. Have to see what the wife has in store this weekend. I'm buffing the tank while she packages bath salts for now. :D

JeF4y;768909 wrote: Tank is 60x24. Bags are 15 or 40#.

Edit:

Very cool. Have to see what the wife has in store this weekend. I'm buffing the tank while she packages bath salts for now. :D

Hehe, is that what they are callin it these days? :)

If it works out that you want to head this way sometime, just shoot me a pm.

Back