Success: Flatworm Exit Round 2

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I see many people very hesitant to use this product, but I just wanted to share my experience.

I have bought all mine form Tim at Keen Reef, and it usually is relatively inexpensive at his store. I used it for the second time 2 days ago and it was a success..again. It killed all visible flatworms, and the tank is looking so much better.

I had a big outbreak of red planarian flatworms (http://www.melevsreef.com/id/flatworms.html">info courtesy of melevsreef.com</a>) for the second time. I'm not sure where they come from as my iodine dips on new corals seem to decimate any hitchhicking worms, but oh well. I think there are a few secrets to success thought.

1. Carefully read and follow the directions. They tell you to siphon out as many worms as possible. THis is made easier by attaching a filter bag to the base of your siphon hose, so you can siphon from the DT to the sump without losing any water. It also says have WC water and carbon ready for after the treatment. Do that too. I also rean my skimmer the entire time. Couldnt hurt.

2. The other secrets that arent in the directions is to turn off all in tank powerheads except for one (or use a return nozzle). In front of the one that is still on, put a net that is fine enough to catch the dead FW bodies. THis will catch A LOT out of the column which you can then remove quickly. I bent the handle of mine to stay in place while I did other things, emptying every couple of minutes.

3. Use filter socks on the drain to catch more that go through the overflow. Clean or replace them after the treatment is over (like 30 minutes after they start to die, or whenever you've collected all the carcases you care to.)

4. Use the siphon/bag assembly you constructed in step 1 to actively capture dead worms that are clinging to rocks and the sand as they die. For me, they kinda died in strands, and formed clumps, so they were easy to siphon out. I also siphoned the dead ones off the surface of the sand.

I continued actively removing the bodies for 30 minutes to an hour, until most all visible bodies were collected. Very we were still passing through, so I let the skimmer and filter socks take care of them.

While I cant promise success to you, I can say that I have done it 2 times in 7 months and both times it worked with no visible problems. Just be dilligent, thorough, and dont blame me if you screw up!

grouper therapy;292225 wrote: You had to do it 2 times in 7 months and you say it works??

that's what i was thinking lol.

if they were the little bitty, brick red flat worms i wouldn't even bat an eye at them. they don't bother corals. in fact they feed on algae. siphon out as many as you can and they eventually die off for no apparent reason.

if they're the big fat thumbnail sized *******s that cover your coral, then i'd go nuclear with the FWE. but i have rarely seen people with those, and usually they stay pretty isolated and are easy to kill with a quick freshwater dip.

It works really well, but as with any pest they can come back without dilligence. I did not use the full dose initially, and either that or my poor QT habits got them back.

Also remember that treating for redbugs is recommended to be done in a set of 3, so I think this may be the case for FW as well, al least if you want a very thorough treatment. You can treat for the flu, but that dont mean you will never get it again.

ryanh487;292227 wrote: that's what i was thinking lol.

if they were the little bitty, brick red flat worms i wouldn't even bat an eye at them. they don't bother corals. in fact they feed on algae. siphon out as many as you can and they eventually die off for no apparent reason.

if they're the big fat thumbnail sized *******s that cover your coral, then i'd go nuclear with the FWE. but i have rarely seen people with those, and usually they stay pretty isolated and are easy to kill with a quick freshwater dip.

From all the literature I've read, the large clear ones are the safest (actually at Cbay we had the BIG white ones living peacefully under dendros..). The brick red planarian ones are ok, too, but can multiply and get out of hand fast (as in my tank). Let them run free if you want but the eventual dieoff is exactly why they are not safe to just disregard. When this happens, as it does, it can cause a toxic condition in your tank. Maybe not entirely likely, but possible.

SO, if you like flatworms, or dont mind them, then by all means keep them! I just wanted to share methods that I have found effective for using FWE on a running system.

Man can I not get you upset or po. This is really starting to annoy me ( your cool demeanor) haha

Derek_S;292237 wrote: It works really well, but as with any pest they can come back without dilligence. I did not use the full dose initially, and either that or my poor QT habits got them back.

Also remember that treating for redbugs is recommended to be done in a set of 3, so I think this may be the case for FW as well, al least if you want a very thorough treatment. You can treat for the flu, but that dont mean you will never get it again.

From all the literature I've read, the large clear ones are the safest (actually at Cbay we had the BIG white ones living peacefully under dendros..). The brick red planarian ones are ok, too, but can multiply and get out of hand fast (as in my tank). Let them run free if you want but the eventual dieoff is exactly why they are not safe to just disregard. When this happens, as it does, it can cause a toxic condition in your tank. Maybe not entirely likely, but possible.

SO, if you like flatworms, or dont mind them, then by all means keep them! I just wanted to share methods that I have found effective for using FWE on a running system.

like i said, i usually just siphon out as many as i can and eventually they stop coming back. just add a few minutes of using airline tubing to siphon during my weekly water changes, and after a month or two they stopped coming back. haven't seen any in about a year (knock on wood lol).

just wanted to add though, your tricks for using FWE are very useful and informative, as many overlook the part about removing the little guys before attempting to kill them and after they are dead. they are toxic after death, and i think that's usually what causes the FWE horror stories.

well, you can pour out my drinking water again and I will be on you like white on rice.

But seriously, nothing to get upset about. THis is just info for anyone who cares, and it is just my opinion. As always, take it or leave it. Not all of us can have awesome pest free tanks like you.

ryanh487;292261 wrote: just wanted to add though, your tricks for using FWE are very useful and informative, as many overlook the part about removing the little guys before attempting to kill them and after they are dead. they are toxic after death, and i think that's usually what causes the FWE horror stories.

I agree, an on that note I would add that I would only use the FWE as a last resort, or if you just dont give a darn like myself. I live on the edge.

Derek_S;292263 wrote: I agree, an on that note I would add that I would only use the FWE as a last resort, or if you just dont give a darn like myself. I live on the edge.

eh, if someone had given me a bottle i probably would have used it. but i didn't feel like spending $30 on a chemical that might kill my $40 fire shrimp lol.

Do you have a wrasse? Arrow crabs are good too and easier to catch and pass on to a buddy

Smoothie;292661 wrote: Do you have a wrasse? Arrow crabs are good too and easier to catch and pass on to a buddy

wrasses and other FW predators are good for preventive maintenance and to combat infestation, but they don't eliminate a problem once it's there. sixlines usually do really well. my lubbocks was listed pretty high on the FW predator list, and i had to stop feeding her for a week before she started eating FW's. i know that velvet nudis are supposed to eat pretty much only flatworms, so that might be a decent thing to pick up if you can't find one. of course, you'll have to hope you don't ever get rid of your flatworms in order to keep one long-term, or at least know other people that have FW's.

The only wrasse I have is a twinspot/candy hogfish. I never saw it eat FW, but it gets plenty else, so I dont know if hunger would drive it to eat them or not.

Derek_S;292791 wrote: The only wrasse I have is a twinspot/candy hogfish. I never saw it eat FW, but it gets plenty else, so I dont know if hunger would drive it to eat them or not.

yeah, i can't imagine toxic planaria would be at the top of an fish's favorite food list.

spectrum pellets and frozen mysis vs. flatworms... no brainer

Are the little clear flatworms safe? I have little clear ones in my frag tank, not sure where they came from..........

I think the clear ones are safe.

The only truly bad ones i know of usually are the Acro eating ones. They are tough to see since they blend with acros, but you can see little bite marks onthe acros wich indicate a problem.

Back