Sufficient Flow for a 55 Reef????

jwarre29

Reaction score
I have just added all the sand and rock went through the cycle and have 2 clowns hosting a bubble tip but before i continue i was wondering how much is too much in the world of Koralia. Right now i have 1 Koralia 4 on the left and i was going to add a koralia 2 or 3 on the right. Any suggestions on which one i should choose or is there a good rule of thumb for amount of flow???? Any and all suggestions are helpful. Oh and i am now a member :yay: no longer just a guest, i was pretty pumped about that

i have a k4 on the left and was thinking of adding a tunze 6025 to the left(600gph) and if that wasnt enough flow i would mod it(1200gph)

Ace of Spades;295776 wrote: Welcome to the club. I used two koralia 4s in my 55 for awhile. Along with a fluval fx5 and a 600 GPh return pump.
What kind of tank are you keeping? Fish only, softies, sps?

A little bit of everything really. I have the 55 with overflow, 700gph return pump inside the 75 gal rated sump along with 300w hqi and 4 21w actinics so i would like to start off with some fish like i have and slowly add xeina and polyps and some brains. I am new to all this so i am not too sure what softies include or sps's but i like the torches and hammer heads and green grassy looking stuff. some mushrooms ect. My basic plan is for a mixed reef (guess i could have said that to begin with)

Welcome to ARC also...

I have 3 modded Maxijets with 1200gph flow in my 55. I sometimes switch one off to alternate the flow. I also have 750gph return pump flow. Flow is good for keeping nutrients in the water column so it can be skimmed, providing you don't plan on keeping anthing that requires low flow, it is a good thing and my tank responded well to the additional flow.

As much flow as you can have without creating sand storms. I have 2 K3's and a 950gph return pump in my 75, and there's days I wish I'd opted for the K4's or bigger. I plan to get Vortechs eventually, but these are good enough for now.

i have 2 K3s and 400 gph return in my 34g rsm im going for as much flow as possible without the Sandstorm

I had 3 Koralia 2 in my 55, i just upgraded today to a vortech, they seemed like enough flow at the time, they the vortech is far supeior

Back