suggestions for algae plauges( not red)

jade76

Market
Reaction score
does anyone have any suggestions on ridding hair algea from the tank? Its mostly green to sandy brown..its overtaking everything. Got a 29 gal. w/ 15gal sump. and im doin a 10 gal water change twice a week. running a corallife superskimmer for (125gal) gravity..1.023-.025 ph 8.3 temp 77 0 ammonia o nirates 0 nitrites. about 20- 30 assorted hermits and snails with a sail tang, clown, royal gramma, and a watchmen goby. please someone suggest something that works.

ok thanks ill have to go get some but ill give it a try...is there a test kit for magnisuim ?

Since you have a 29, it will be much easier to handle. Pull the rock out and scrub the hair algae off. you can take a propan torch and burn the area it was growing. It won't be there when you put the rock back.

oh yeah, and rinse the rock (with spare tank water...good time for a water change) before putting back into the tank.

now, you'll have to controll phosphates, which shouldn't be a problem with the water changes you do.

As an added measure, after you do the rock thing, you can turn off all tank lights and keep it dark for @3 days. depending on the livestock, you can also not feed the tank. the fish will be fine...don't worry.

Victor, raising magnesium that high will only work to kill bryopsis. It will not kill hair algae, even though they are related. Do not attempt to to kill your hair algae by raising magnesium that high. Unless of course you KNOW that it is bryopsis.

whatever you do to *kill* it, you will ultimately need to address the root problem, or it will be right back. Although your nitrates apparently read 0, I am guessing you have a bunch of it that is getting fixed in the hair algae. You'll need to take steps to control your nutrients. As mentioned, things like nitrate and phosphate will fuel this nuisance, no matter how many times you remove it.

get some good export media, a quality skimmer, controll what you add to the tank, and be patient.

Are you using RO/DI water? Reduce feeding and cut lighting period. How big is the sailfin tang? Not judging but he may be requiring a lot of food which is contributing to the problem in that size tank.

If all else fails pick up a small Sea Hare and it will do the job. Just pass it on to someone else after it devours all the algae or it will starve. Good luck!

flyingarmy;105497 wrote: If all else fails pick up a small Sea Hare and it will do the job. Just pass it on to someone else after it devours all the algae or it will starve. Good luck!
Pick up a LARGE sea hare as they do not eat hair algae until they are adult size. Any sea hare smaller then a computer mouse probably will not eat hair algae. Sorry Mark had to correct that info...I recently found this bit of information out about sea hares.

And find a new home for that sailfin tang--the tank is WAY to small for him!!!

Stroid;105499 wrote: Pick up a LARGE sea hare as they do not eat hair algae until they are adult size. Any sea hare smaller then a computer mouse probably will not eat hair algae. Sorry Mark had to correct that info...I recently found this bit of information out about sea hares.

I had a huge sea hare (about the size of your hand) and it could eat some hair algae. Best thing was, it cleaned it completely off the rock. However, I think mine saw how much work he had ahead of him and decided to take a nap..permenantly! :sad:

Skriz;105559 wrote: I had a huge sea hare (about the size of your hand) and it could eat some hair algae. Best thing was, it cleaned it completely off the rock. However, I think mine saw how much work he had ahead of him and decided to take a nap..permenantly! :sad:
From my experience they do reach a certain point when they stop eating the hair algae not sure why but this is somewhat common. Yes sea hares, turbos, lettuce nudi all eat this stuff but the problem is phosphates and if that isnt fixed somehow you can get rid of the hair algae but it will come back. I know because I got rid of it for close to a year and as of the past month it came back and is coming on strong.

Back