Suggestions needed for flooring

elfloyd

Supporting
Reaction score
When I up-size my 90g this summer I want to replace the carpet in my home office where the new tank will sit.

Home is built on a slab... the flooring through out most of the house is laminated wood, but I want to use something more acceptable to the occasional splash of water on the floor where the tank sits.

Possible solutions:

<ul>
<li>ceramic tile - probably a good solution but I don\'t believe it will complement the wood flooring in the rest of the house.</li>
<li>laminated wood - good match for the rest of the house, but will warp if it gets wet.</li>
<li>interlocking foam mats - comes in a variety of colors (including wood grain), and water proof.</li>
<li>carpet - not water resistant... prone to mildew when wet.</li>
<li>Combination - perhaps use tile under the stand with another material for the rest of the room.</li>
<li>ARC member suggestions.</li>
</ul>
I would like to hear your ideas on the best material to use:

<ul>
<li>Must not be damaged by the weight of the tank.</li>
<li>Good looks... must go well with flooring in the rest of the house.</li>
<li>Must be water resistant.</li>
</ul>
Thoughts appreciated!

Check my build thread Larry,
I used engineered bamboo planks - glued to the floor, fulfills all my requirements and can withstand even a short flood (KNOCK ON WOOD)

I had tile in my Florida home and with time, you start to get salt creep in the grout and it's a job to remove. I used those linoleum looking tiles at Home Depot and don't look too bad and great for 30 gallon spills!

LilRobb... I checked out your "Tank room build started" thread. You used bamboo planks? Looks like laminated wood.

It does,
but it actually is solid bamboo - waterproof up to a few hours, pretty scratch proof and easy to clean.

I would suggest a quartz tile. Not the solid quartz you think off. There are new quartz tiles on the market that are made from 80% quartz sand, 10% vinyl for color and 10% binding material. It's considered a "green" product because they are 100% recylceable. The best news about quartz is that it can withstand 3000 psi withou marring...is very difficult to scratch, and resists all chemicals including most acids. What a product huh!? Cost wise....it's about in line with vinyl tiles. It comes in a couple different sizes but the 24" x 24" square seems most popular. It glues down with regular vinyl tile glue and requires little to no upkeep.

Ceramic would be a no-no because of the grout lines but also because they tend to crack when just about anything is dropped on them.

Regular hardwood could work. I've got thin Bruce hardwood (3/8" thick instead of the 3/4" standard) glued to my slap throughout the downstairs which is on slab. It's prefinished. About $4 a square foot. It's been very good with respect to scratch resistance but what surprised me the most was when I had a defroster stick on my frig and put about 3 or 4 gallons of water on the floor and not a single board warped. You can get limited colors at Home Depot but there are other places that carry more colors.

Hey Jeff... do you have a product name for the new quartz tiles? I am doing a Google search but only come up with the solid tiles.

Have you seen the new vinyl planks? They look like wood and are waterproof.

a>

Also check out the tiles that look like wood floor.

travertine stone. looks great, and is permanent. It'll be around longer than the house.

What about acid washed concrete? Since your on a slab. A few neighbors have it it is really cool.

I went with hardwoods while rennovating my house...and after two major leaks, im def seeing some wear and tear, alittle upset about it honestly. I have to keep polishing them with oil to keep them looking good

Back