Suggestions

hhughes

Market
Reaction score
It's been a while since I had time to really mess with my tank, other than the big upgrade a year ago.

I currently have a maroon clown and a bangaii cardinal in my 55g. I only have a small colony of zoanthids and a big devil's hand leather (with many tiny frags needing new homes).

I know one day I want a mandarin goby, but other than that I don't know what else fish-wise. The fish I have are not very active; in fact BOTH hang out around the clown's chosen home cave. I wanted a blue hippo tang, and an LFS told me one would be fine but when I got home and researched, it seems they get too big.

As far as inverts go, I want a couple of fire shrimp, but otherwise I also haven't decided.

And as for corals, I think my 4x65w PC fixture limits me to softies -- doesn't it?

I need some suggestions :).

You're right about the PC lights, stay with softies for now. But beware, you'll get the itch to upgrade lights soon enough, like I did after six months of PC's. :)

I have a 55 as well. Ive kept the fish count to a minimum. Tomato clown, Chalk Bass, Bi-color angel, and two Scissor-tail gobies. As for the Hippo, tangs love to swim, so be careful putting them in anything smaller than 75 gallons (enter tang police comment here).
The mandarin Goby is a great addition. They are super cool and fun to watch. Just do some research as they are tough to feed and constantly graze throughout the day on pods.

The cleaner shrimp will do great.

I would suggest some free-swimming gobies. And I love the chalk bass. Just a couple pennies worth:)

I'd love to upgrade my lights, and have dreams of being able to have a clam, and all those cool light-loving corals...

But I'm afraid I'd have to have a serious canopy to keep my 13 month old from looking at MH lights... it scares me a little, and the cost of the canopy AND the light is a little out of range. Plus, I'd have to do serious research... I don't really know anything and MH. :(

Hughes,

Sounds like you need to be introduced to the wonderful world of LPS!

Many LPS prefer low light and are easy to keep. They add interest, and can be very colorful.

Take it slow on upgrading.

Devil's Hand Leather? Frags? That need new homes? Hmmmmm, let me step up to that plate!

I'm in Hapeville and would REALLY like a devil's hand frag. Can trade you a baseball sized Zoa Rock for it.

kday25;460153 wrote: You're right about the PC lights, stay with softies for now. But beware, you'll get the itch to upgrade lights soon enough, like I did after six months of PC's. :)

6 months? dang, it took me all of.. 2-3 months to go bigger and get better lights lol

Kirru;460181 wrote: it took me all of.. 2-3 months to go bigger and get better lights lol

...you're right, it was four months...lol, would have done it sooner, but funds were an issue.

i kept a few hydnophora under PC's for 3 yrs.....just keep them near the top....and yeah get a wrasse....my McCoskers is out pretty much all the time....as far as LPS's.....could go with a trachyphyllia.....

If you're wanting a Mandarin Goby in the future, you should stay away from wrasses, as they will compete for food with the Mandarin, and win(!)

blu_devl_06;460179 wrote: Firefish would bring some life to the tank, and some color. I have a blenny that has personality, he is visible most of the time.....maybe a couple of wrasse would bring some life to your tank....

+1 on the wrasse, that would be a nice addition to your setup. There is a HUGE selection of them out there, and they look great!

A buddy of mine just broke down his system, and gave me a lawnmower blenny... that is probably the single most entertaining fish that I have ever seen! They are hardy, have funny personalities, and are pretty active. I would encourage you to keep the blenny's in mind!

rolo65;460303 wrote: i kept a few hydnophora under PC's for 3 yrs.....just keep them near the top....and yeah get a wrasse....my McCoskers is out pretty much all the time....as far as LPS's.....could go with a trachyphyllia.....

same here... i kind of... got lucky.. member was selling a used light. works great but i am thinking i want a little more so i can have more color choices

Back