Suhgestions/help please!

ThaGlasMan1

Supporting
Reaction score
Needed suggestions as to how I can get this algae under control! I've done a 30% water change within the past 7 days. I've also ciphoned my sand bed, and adjusted my powerheads to point downward more. But this stuff keeps growing. Oh yeah, I've even topped off my sanded with 20 lbs. of fresh live sand.

20220204_161912.jpg

Attachments

• 20220204_161920.jpg
    20220204_161920.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220204_161915.jpg
    20220204_161915.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 11
that's not so bad - I think it's not algae as well but more likely diatoms or something of the sort.

Keep the flow up high - don't overfeed - regular water changes and time are your remedies IMO.

If that is a canister filter tube I see in the corner - I'd make plans to rid the setup of that - again, just my opinion though.

Yep, that is a canister filter. I've had this setup for about 1½ years, so how hard is it going to be to switch over?

Yep, that is a canister filter. I've had this setup for about 1½ years, so how hard is it going to be to switch over?
How often do you change the filter out? Canisters cAn be nutrient factories. But i have seen many many tanks using them. Heck 15 years ago i ran mag magnum 350 for a few months before my custom 15 gal came in from aquabuys....anyone remember that store?

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

I change/clean this one out every 3 months. I initially used the wrong sand, and it was so fine that it was driving me crazy. I also have a hob filter as well. Everything was fine until about a month ago.

I agree with above. Adding sand restarts the cycle and so it looks like diatoms on the new sand bed- normal and it will eventually pass. The algae on the back wall can be manually removed or you can get more CUC- snails, hermits, urchin, herbivores etc….. and it is not that bad. Do you have a lawnmower blenny in there? Have you checked your nutrient levels? Your feeding level? Your canister filter as others have mentioned.

I'm going to go get more cuc today! I only have a few snails and hermits. This is my 75 gallon tank, and I should've added more a long time ago. I had my water checked at Animart last week and they did tell me that my nitrates and salinity was high. So I did a 15 gallon water change, and have cut back on my feeding drastically.
Thx everyone for the feedback!

Back