Sulfur Denitrator Question

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I just turned mine on yesterday, and I had a leak, so I drained it down a little to repair the leak, let it sit for about 10 hours and ran it again.

I started it off at about 1 drop per second, waited a couple hours, and measured the effluent. THe NO3 was very high, maybe 60, and my tank about 5-10. Is it normal to be that high on a new setup? Should I turn it off?

It has Premieum Aquatics sulfur beads- 3.5lbs, and a little aragonite on top.

you should ask this in RC in the section "advanced reefkeeping"

what media did you get?

If its the stuff thats already seeded then run it full flow for at least a day or two before you start slowing it down.

Then turn it down to about half flow and let it sit for a 1-2 days. then slow it down again and wait a day and repeat until your effluent has 0 nitrates.

If your effluent has nitrates its to fast, if it has nitrites, or sulphur smell its too slow.

**** cant edit, ignore dumb question from not reading it all:doh:

EnderG60;299086 wrote: what media did you get?

If its the stuff thats already seeded then run it full flow for at least a day or two before you start slowing it down.

Then turn it down to about half flow and let it sit for a 1-2 days. then slow it down again and wait a day and repeat until your effluent has 0 nitrates.

If your effluent has nitrates its to fast, if it has nitrites, or sulphur smell its too slow.

Thanks, that makes sense. I will try that. I was doing it oppositely, running it at 1 drop per sex, and I was gonna increase it by 10 percent every couple days until NO3 hit 0 ppm.

I'll be bringing one of these online in a couple days. Here is a great thread...loaded with info about setup and adjustment...would apply for any sulfur based denitrator, not just H&S:

showthread.php

Derek_S;299116 wrote: Thanks, that makes sense. I will try that. I was doing it oppositely, running it at 1 drop per sex, and I was gonna increase it by 10 percent every couple days until NO3 hit 0 ppm.

freudian slip?:D

Back