Summer vs Winter prep

geno

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">I'll be experiencing my first winter season with my 125g reef tank. I've learned a lot over the past few months and one thing was that I needed a chiller (which I purchased). So, the tank temp has been stable during the summer months.</span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">Now, as we get closer to cool temps -- I'm thinking about how to best maintain the water temp. I have 2 heaters -- and as you know these babies eat some serious wattage.</span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">So, my big question is do you use a backup system for your heaters? </span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">During the summer, if we have a power outage, most of us have tricks to keep water circulating, and cool....</span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">In the winter, however, keeping the heaters going could be a major issue.</span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">Any thoughts as I look ahead to managing my tank through my first winter season?</span>

I never worry about winter.. I look at it as a blessing that I don't have to run my chiller..I have never even had heaters. *knock on wood*

As long as you keep it in a climate conrolled environment (i.e. not in in an unheated basement) rarely would a temp drop of a couple degrees cause any real issues. I would worry about backing up pumps and such way before heaters.

Speaking of unheated basements....that's my next project. Tie into the central air for the fishroom in the basement.

I've never worried about the temp in the tank dropping. As keith said, as long as your house isn't freezing, your tank will be okay.

Thanks for the experience.

I'll be glad to shut down this chiller :thumbs: -- it's rough on the electric bill

Back