Sump advice needed...

olds350racer

Market
Reaction score
So I'm plumbing my first sump. I'm understand the basics and and have my general plan, but I'm trying to avoid the "wish I had of..." and "if I had known" things. Any ideas or suggestions of ideas you thought of in your sump AFTER it was too late to implement?
Thanks

I wish my return pump area was larger. If the auto top off is low not much before my pump starts sucking air in. I would also have made the first baffle more that one inch with a shelf so that I could lay a bag of carbon or anything else I wanted to in the flow. I saw this on a post somewhere.

This is the basic idea Victor. I will be working on adding details as I get time, but I rather make changes prior to starting my build (it's what I have available). The equipment list is as follows:
- 65g rimless starfire (48x18x18)
- 55g sump/refugium
- EuroReef RS80 or AquaC EV-180 (I currently run the AquaC but am going to dust off the EuroReef and try it for this one)
- 2x250 10K MH with 3x110 VHO (currently shopping for a chiller :)... )
- I'm going to use my old coralife 4x65 PC for the fuge light)
- Researching top-off options... ideas anyone?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

For me... not too tall or getting new or needing to clean equipment in and out will be a major PIA. Larger is generally speaking better unless you don't have a lot of room around the tank and you need to fit everything under the tank. Drill it for whatever you might want to install down the road now. You can always cap it until you use it. Once you get one installed drilling can be tricky.

Back