Sump Advice Please. See Pic.

darren24

Market
Reaction score
Below is a Pic of my new sump. As you can see the skimmer is in the middle and the return pump to the far right. There is an egg crate shelf on the far left where the drain empties. As you can see the egg crate is just floating around with filter floss on it. What do most folks put there? Thanks.

DSC00818.jpg
alt="" />

Nothing, unless you have some extra live rock or something. You can keep it open, in case you need to run carbon or something at some point.

I would definetly put a filter sock in there! It would be perfect!

OK thanks. Just wanted to make sure that I was not missing something. My last tank just had a 20G sump no baffles or anything.

I'd say if your skimmer fits in the left section, put it there and have a fuge in the middle then return on the right.

Thanks Lee but the skimmer will not fit on the far left. That was the original plan. :(

oh poo. Well then in that case, a bag of caron like chris said would be good.

goto petsmart and buy seachems "the bag" or any kind of media bag and throw some carbon in it and toss it in your sump. Low flow area might be better than a high flow one, but its all relative to a point.

I put carbon in my old panty hose , it works great because its so porous. Just drop it in your sump.

i change my carbon every two weeks, but i've heard of people doing it every month. about a 1/4 cup of carbon per 25 gal is the norm i believe.

Back