Sump baffles: Acrylic vs. ABS plastic

krcraig1

Market
Reaction score
We are in the process of designing our 20 gallon (long) sump and have a question. Shall we use Acrylic or ABS plastic for the baffles? And, how thick should they be?

Thanks!!

Is the sump acrylic?

If it's glass, then glass baffles. Silicone won't bond the others to glass (that I'm aware of).

The sump is glass. It is actually a 20 gallon long aquarium that we picked up a the local big box pet store.

I've glued acrylic baffles in glass tanks a few times with silicone. There is a technique to it but it can be done. I'm actually doing it tomorrow on my new setup.

I have also, which is why I'd recommend against it, lol.

And glass will be cheaper. Seriously, you should be able to get glass baffles cut for $10 at Lowes if they have big enough scraps, and it'll be just a few bucks more if you have to buy a sheet and have them cut it up.

au01st;468506 wrote: I have also, which is why I'd recommend against it, lol.

And glass will be cheaper. Seriously, you should be able to get glass baffles cut for $10 at Lowes if they have big enough scraps, and it'll be just a few bucks more if you have to buy a sheet and have them cut it up.
Does lowe's carry glass larger than 1/16" ?

The one here does. Just redid some in BigC07's new sump (20 tall), and they were either 3/16" or 1/4" and hold the water back just fine, no bowing. Used some GE Silicone 1, let it cure for a few days, and everything was good.

I've done several sumps from glass aquariums and have always gotten the glass cut at a place in Buford. It's usually around $35 for 4 pieces of 1/4" and if you get glass make sure they polish the edges.

It's funny, cause the Lowe's and Home Depot here only carry 1/16" glass, and 1/4" acrylic.

My experience has been that acrylic will bow, but if you're liberal with the silicone, it's no problem. I only use 1/4" acrylic for my baffles now, and I've used it on up to an 18" wide sump without issues. I've only used glass aquariums for sumps, haven't played with acrylic tanks yet.

If I could get thicker glass easily (ie, at a big box store nearby), I'd probably use that instead. I also have a pretty strong DIY bent, so i like to go that route when possible.

Generally in a sump, the water level differences are negligible. An inch or two at most. I could see some bowing if one section were full and the other empty, but with close to equal water levels, you're probably just fine.

Thanks for the feedback! Time for a run to HD and then to my local glass shop to check out all of the options.

Back