sump confusion

sharij1

Market
Reaction score
just picked up a new to me tank with sump and overflow box. whats the best way to safeguard my tank from overflowing?

well the best way to keep from having an overflow is to get rid of the tank lol but in all seriousness you would be better off getting the tank drilled instead of using the overflow box. they're siphon powered and over time air bubbles tend to build up in them and if you dont get rid of those air bubbles the siphon will stop and you'll have a flood where as a drilled tank is gravity powered and gravity never stops

Picoreefguy;887371 wrote: well the best way to keep from having an overflow is to get rid of the tank lol but in all seriousness you would be better off getting the tank drilled instead of using the overflow box. they're siphon powered and over time air bubbles tend to build up in them and if you dont get rid of those air bubbles the siphon will stop and you'll have a flood where as a drilled tank is gravity powered and gravity never stops

+ a zillion. (From the voice of experience).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but also keep in mind it is fairly easy to keep a tank with an overflow box and not have any problems as long as you respect its limitations and remove any air that gets trapped in it. how easy that will be depends on the type of overflow you have if its they type with tubes they're a pain in the you know what if its the kind thats just a box and has a little spot for an airline at the top than its easy. thats the type i have and i just put an airline on it with a check valve at the end to prevent any air from getting in. or you could use an aqualifter pump to keep it air free

holy schmoly there is always more information! this an overflow.box that does jot have an airline. maybe I'll bite the bullet and drill.

Think about all of the things you want to put in this tank and what it will cost you. Now think about the minimal cost of doing it the correct way vs. cost cutting here....

There are better places to cut costs or not be patient.

And drilling won't cost a dang thing if you know some one with a blade. I would drill and plumb that thing from the start.

Sigh...if only you knew a couple of really cool guys with a glass hole saw willing to help you out... ;)

J.B.;887424 wrote: Sigh...if only you knew a couple of really cool guys with a glass hole saw willing to help you out... ;)

Yeah but who wants to drive all the way to Atlanta? Hehehehehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm...I'm not sure if I know anyone that can drill!!?? ::evil wicked laugh:: I feel like I'm constantly hitting you guys up for something!

I'm looking at plans for a DIY stand and canopy. I still have to put together the sump and the rest of the stuff for this tank. Slowly but surely it will come together!!

Ok...drill it is. I''m going to owe J.B. and Butch big time for all of their help!

Yeah! Glad your going with the drill! Nothing great happens quickly or easily. It took me over a year to put my tank together. The anticipation is half the fun!

Glad you decided to drill. You will be happier when its all said and done.

I'm female!! Anticipation is not my strong suit!! LOL

I'll end up with one drilled and one not drilled. The 40 will be HOB overflow and the 75 will be drilled. I'm just going to need a list of "parts" now...and the winning lottery ticket! LOL

Depends on how fancy you want it to be, You will need one bulkhead for a drain plus basic plumbing parts available anywhere, although i would reccomend atleast two drains.

Back