Sump design help

sparksfly

Market
Reaction score
I am new at sump building and I need a little advice. I have a 30 gallon cube that will have a 10 gallon sump. The tank will be getting drilled soon so I need to start working on the sump. The 10 gallon measurements are 20"x12" and 18" tall. This will just be a basic sump just to hide equipment. Right now I have a hob remora for the skimmer. Any adice is welcome. Thanks again.

Jimmie

jimmie05
>
th_sump.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Sorry for the drawing I did my best.

Honestly I would do a forth baffle. I would put the three baffles closer to the skimmer and intake section and another one on the other side. My thing is that the microbubble will be made from the intake and the skimmer. also it creates alittle fuge. use some Cheato and that will help with nitrate absorbtion and it will help to catch the microbubbles.

But then remeber to calculate the amount of overflow from the tank and the amount of overflow that your sump will take,

I will ask how much overflow from the tank today. I would like to try to cut down on microbubbles so I will add the forth baffle and move the other 3 over. Doesn't cheato need light?

ok I redid the drawing. The baffles are 1.5" apart and the middle one 1.5" off the bottom. I am thinking about doing a mag 7 on the return pump because the water will have to travel about 4' back to the tank. What's everyone else's thoughts on this? I am open for and advice. Or any tips.

Thanks for the advice andy and david. I will check into the ocean runner 2500 for the return pump. Heat might be an issue so I will most likely run a few test runs to check it out before I add anything. I will look for sammy's post also.

Andy- I will move the baffles over some more since as of now I don't have a top off in place. Thanks for the tip.

Back